Upgrading question; closed headphones...
Jan 25, 2004 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

WillD

Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I have been using my Panasonic HT-355s for the past year and haven't tried anything better. I don't know how they stack up to the competition. I listen to music a lot (mainly rock) and also play games; I was wondering if you all think I'd be able to hear the difference between the ones I have now and say Sennheiser HD-280s or similar headphones, and would the difference be large enough to warrant buying a better set of 'phones?

I only have $80 or so to work with.

Jan 25, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 14
I wasn't familiar with the Panasonic RP-HT355 so I looked up the specs. Are you looking for another headphone like the HT355s (i.e. a closed design)?

If so, then the Sennheiser HD 280 or Sony MDR-V6 might be right up your alley. They both can be had for between $60-70 and I would bet that they offer far better performance than your HT355s.

The 280 and V6 aren't very similar soundwise, though. The 280 has good low bass extension and decent mids, while the V6 is slightly brighter and emphasizes the mid-bass. The V6 might be better for rock, but I haven't listened to them much and can't make that determination myself. Perhaps someone else can chime in with their recommendations.

D.

p.s. I own the 280 and I think they're fine for rock music. And, although I'm not much of a gamer, I'm told that they're quite good for gaming because they offer good positioning and isolation.

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Thank you for your reply. I assumed the 280s would sound better and I just wanted some confirmation.

Yeah, closed headphones are important for me. I will be going to college next year and I'd like to keep my music to myself and not be bothered by anyone else. Where should I buy the 280s from?

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 14
I loved the 280's when I had them, not everyone would agree they are good for rock. They are very "analytical"...very "uncolourer". If that appeals to you, then go for the 280's. There is also the Sony V6, but I can't comment much on those.

Scott

Jan 26, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by WillD
Where should I buy the 280s from?

You could try one of Head-Fi's sponsors (listed at the bottom of this page), or a discount electronics vendor such as Etronics or eCost. Or, you could visit a local audio dealer in your hometown.

Buying local is a good idea actually, because you'll be able to audition the headphones on their premises. Take a few of your favourite music CDs, listen to them with a bunch of phones, and see what you like.

D.

Jan 26, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Doesn't Guitar Center sell the 280's?

Scott

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 14
Not only do they sell HD280s, they sell MDR-7506s too!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Not only do they sell HD280s, they sell MDR-7506s too!
biggrin.gif

He said he wanted to UPgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just kidding.

Scott

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
He said he wanted to UPgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just kidding.

Scott

I am assuming the MDR-7506s aren't as good as the 280?

I really wish I could get out in this weather
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 14
LOL.. he was just being snide.. 7506 => same as Sony MDR-V6... they're comparable class with distinctively different sound signature.. some people like one more than other.. there's defenders for both camps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
LOL.. he was just being snide.. 7506 => same as Sony MDR-V6... they're comparable class with distinctively different sound signature.. some people like one more than other.. there's defenders for both camps
smily_headphones1.gif

Less snide, more campy.
smily_headphones1.gif
Honetly though, it really depends what you want from a headphone. As lindrone said their are people in both camps in that debate.

Me, I'm trying the A900 next myself, but that's $200.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back