Upgrading portability. HIFIMAN 601 + IEM ?
Feb 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Elfenau

New Head-Fier
At home I enjoy so much my music through my set up (HD5000  + amp  + DAC + laptop + NAS). All my music files are WAV lossless riped at best quality bit rate.
However when I am outdoors I use a much simpler set up (sansa clip + and an entry level shure 110) that I bought some 4 years ago and still last. So I decided that I want to enjoy music both at home and outdoors in a comparable manner as much as possible. Meaning with good QS and getting new gear
etysmile.gif

After reading a substancial number of reviews and comments I would like to get the HIFIMAN 601. I seems to be a good DAP in terms of QS at sacrifice of UI, which it is a good trade off in my view. According to what I read the HIFIMAN 601 produces more a kind of an organic sound which is less analitical.
So the question now is all about what IEM. Here it seems that opinions diverge depending of the kind of sound that one favours. So at this stage I am interested about the SM3 but I ve no idea if it is a good match to the HIFIMAN 601. In principle the SM3 seem to be great and on the transparent side not that analitical.
Views on this possible set up and proposals are much apreciated.

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 4
NO! I currently have an SM3 and HM602 and It's the worst decision I have ever made, the resulting sound is too warm and too thick! The clip+ would be enough for the SM3, but on the other hand the HM602 is indeed organic sounding and very unique sounding though you should pair it with bright or not too warm phones.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I think EX1000, W3, W4, FX700 willbe better match with HM-601 and RE0 + S:Flo 2 has some good synergy. The S;Flo2 is equally good sounding like HM-601 and it has line-out for future portable amplifier use which will take it step above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back