Upgrading PC sound.(please hurry?)
Feb 8, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tom10167

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm using an Audigy 2, a Harmon Kardon HK-3480 2 channel receiver and two...

JBL 4311B monitors. One of them has some holes punched im them from when I was a kid but I really notice NO difference(does this tell you something?)

Anyways I want to upgrade to surround for movies and some gaming and I'm not interested in spending thousands, or even many hundreds. If you could get Logitech Z-5500s for $270 shipped would you go with it?

If I already had a good 5 channel amp I'd just get some really good speakers but as it stands I do need something cheaper.

How bad are these speakers? Will I be disappointed after leaving my JBLs? I don't need tons of bass.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 11
i wouldnt even worry about surround sound for your PC and just stick to stereo. Unless you play alot of games i guess. I have that same reciever in my living room powering my B&W's and for only $250 it does quite well.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 11
I would say the opposite... 5.1 sound is awesome for gaming I wouldn´t settle for stereo if I had the chance...

Rather a decent 5.1 setup then a good 2.1 setup. If you do get a receiver you can comp a great stereo setup with some cheaper satellites
smily_headphones1.gif

I got the Pure Digitheatre Platinum and they sound awesome as long as you don´t have to fill a very large living room. Power is what they may lack if so...

It has a good sub woofer that goes really low but don´t bloat. Z-5500 they have a lot of bass which can be great as well of course
smily_headphones1.gif
From what I have heard it´s decent and hard to beat bang for the buck for that kind of money...

The benefit of the Z-5500 is that they are designed to work with computers so you have separate rear channels which makes them better for gaming in that regard.

Otherwise you need a soundcard that encodes dolby digital to get true surround or the DTS-601 box I guess...

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about just for movies which is much more than gaming?

It's like 60/30/10 music movies games.

I would personally go stereo. A great stereo system can comfortably emulate the surround effect of a multichannel system (plus having better sound quality). My point is further driven home given your relatively low budget.

Regards.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 11
5500 are good for the money, but I don't like them too much.

Since music is your priority, how about starting with stereo and expanding to surround later on? AV123's X-ls series or Ascend Acoustics speakers come to mind.

EDIT:
Or, if you want to retain your sanity unlike most of us, just go with Z5500 and be happy
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously, they are not bad at all and would pair well with your Audigy 2.

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 11
If you can 5.1 properly for your PC, go with the Logitechs and be happy
wink.gif
. I quite miss having a properly setup PC surround sound system, and virtual 5.1 does NOT work as well with speakers as it does with headphones (it is just not the same).

Though I must admit these Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's are still damned excellent for PC gaming.

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 11
z5500 has tons of bass and that too boomy boom boom ... if you dont like that , avoid.

go for a good sound card & 2.0 speakers with your reciever depending on the budget ... there are 5.1 channel headphones which you can get for movies / gaming if you really want 5.1 experience.

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 11
I hear that pretty much all 5.1 headphones suck. Never tried any myself, though.

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 11
I couldn't stand my z-680, which are very similar to the z-5500's. There's just too much bloated bass and the annoying hiss of logitech speakers are so very annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back