Upgrading mz Grado SR60 to Audio Technica AD900 - need some help
Jan 16, 2008 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Andreas_D

New Head-Fier
I have a computer based system, grado SR60 and a future dac/amp combo. For the moment I don't like very much my SR60s:trebles are too harsh and aggresive for my taste, but instead of trebles I like very much the mids.
I intend to buy AT AD900 after searching the forum for reviews of different models in this class. I understood that AD900 mids and highs are smooth, not harsh or sibilant at all, very detailed.
What I would expect from the sound:
-highs: detailed, trasparent, warm and delicate
-mids: detailed,very defined, dynamic, with good pace, as good as SR60
-bass: tight, defined and punchy (not bassy or boomy)
I often listen to electronic music, jazz, classical and some R&B /Rap

Keeping in sight my sound preference, is AD900 suitable for me?
How strong is bass comparing to SR60?
Have you other alternatives below 250$?

Thank you!

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 13
I wouldn't consider the highs on the A900 warm. They are pretty detailed, but nothing spectacular.

The mids on the A900 are actually a little recessed, so if you like your mids, it might be best to look around at different headphones.

The bass is there. It's nice, but can sometimes be a little boomy. It doesn't have as much punch as the SR-60, but there's more of it. Soundstage is much better on the A900s and they are very comfortable.

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Not very happy to hear that about AD900 mids...The mids are very important to me. I don't know what to say, maybe you could recommend other headphones ,which fulfil my sound demands, to look after...

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't consider the highs on the A900 warm. They are pretty detailed, but nothing spectacular.

The mids on the A900 are actually a little recessed, so if you like your mids, it might be best to look around at different headphones.

The bass is there. It's nice, but can sometimes be a little boomy. It doesn't have as much punch as the SR-60, but there's more of it. Soundstage is much better on the A900s and they are very comfortable.

I think he was asking about the AD900, not the A900. I don't have any experience with either, so I don't know if your comments are applicable to both.

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 13
The AD900 treble is lovely and smooth indeed (after burn-in, i found it a little rough out of the box). I haven't heard the SR60, but i think the AD900 has less bass and treble quantity then it.

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 13
I upgraded to AT AD900 from SR60 last year. It should serve your needs pretty well, considering your music preferences. Bass is tight and punchy, goes lower, and overall better than SR60. You could also consider Alessandro MS2i in that price range.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 13
What do you think about K601? I'm not decided at all what to buy and now I'm even think about K601...

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 13
With the AD900 you'll get a huge jump in clarity, detail, and sound stage, however the bass wont have the same impact and the mids definitely wont be in your face. The two are very different headphones.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 13
I have just bought K601, I'm pretty happy with them and i'm waiting to receive my amp to drive and burn them in.
smily_headphones1.gif
I found almost the sound that I wanted, smoother and more detalied than SR60, better soundstage. I will take some time to cure my wounded wallet and then I'll probably buy AD900(or beyer 880) too.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 13
SR60 has slighty more bass, but I found K601 bass being more defined and little bit more dynamic, I think, less extended. They have different sound, different sound signature but bass wise I don't recommend k601 to bassheads.
For the moment I don't use an amp, I started listening because I was impatient to know how it sounds, when my amp will arrive I think the differences(detail, stage, definition and dynamics) will be bigger...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back