Upgrading My Xonar Xense
Jun 24, 2015 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Odeken

New Head-Fier
Hello! 
I have a Xonar Xense and have been looking to upgrade my headset. I can't really find much to go on as I am totally new to this. I was thinking of getting a Beyerdynamic DT-990. My question is, is this a good step up, considering these would be open headphones? I will use them mainly for gaming and movies. I love being immersed in games. 

A couple things I can't really figure out due to my own ignorance: 
1. Is this a good upgrade? I was and still am blown away by the great sound quality I experience now while using this headset/audio card combo... and I'm very scared to take the next step because I don't have a lot of money to make a mistake and regret it.

2. Will my Xonar Xense sound card work for the DT990? Would I have to buy a quarter inch adapter for the headset to work with it? I read that you need an amp, so I was hoping this sound card would work. 

3. I kept coming back to the DT990 after many hours of searching, but as I am so inexperienced with this subject, would there be another set of headphones that you would recommend I look into? 

Thanks for your time!

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Update: After spending all day today trying to learn more about it, these look like great headphones for me! I see it has the quarter inch jack that you can screw out if you need. From what I can gather, my Xonar Xense sound card would be just fine for these so I don't need to buy an amp or anything extra... I think. I want to purchase this very soon, so I just want some opinions and corrections if needed. I'm still worried about whether or not my sound card is good for these. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Everything looks good. The Xonar Xense should be able to drive the Beyerdynamics adequately as it has a built in amp. While I can't speak from experience, based on reviews and what others have said, those particular headphones seem to be a great set. The Xonar Xense also seems like a great soundcard as well.

Let us know how it is if you do decide to purchase them!

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you very much! I am going to purchase the DT990s and see how much of a difference it is. These headphones have been great and not any sound quality loss has been noticed in the 5 years I've had them with this sound card! I'll update this post after I receive the headset and test it out. Thanks again!

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 7
  Thank you very much! I am going to purchase the DT990s and see how much of a difference it is. These headphones have been great and not any sound quality loss has been noticed in the 5 years I've had them with this sound card! I'll update this post after I receive the headset and test it out. Thanks again!

The Beyerdynamic DT990 250-Ohm headphone is full bass/full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
I prefer my AKG K7XX headphones over my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
The DT990 Premium 600-Ohm has improved bass control over the DT990 250-Ohm, but the DT990 600-Ohm is a big jump in price.

Maybe read up on the K7XX, before deciding on a headphone.
The K7XX are a Massdrop special, so it's like a AKG K701, but at a better price.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 7

The Beyerdynamic DT990 250-Ohm headphone is full bass/full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
I prefer my AKG K7XX headphones over my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
The DT990 Premium 600-Ohm has improved bass control over the DT990 250-Ohm, but the DT990 600-Ohm is a big jump in price.

Maybe read up on the K7XX, before deciding on a headphone.
The K7XX are a Massdrop special, so it's like a AKG K701, but at a better price.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread

Thanks for the response! Those K7XX look amazing, but I can't seem to find anything to indicate when the next drop would be. I really wish there was somewhere I could go to test all these myself, but unfortunately I can't find anywhere in my area. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 7
  Thanks for the response! Those K7XX look amazing, but I can't seem to find anything to indicate when the next drop would be. I really wish there was somewhere I could go to test all these myself, but unfortunately I can't find anywhere in my area. 

Just buy used ones.
The K7XX  have only been on the market for 6 months, so the used ones should still be in good condition.
Check eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281728159560?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back