Upgrading my Stax energiser
Oct 8, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiron99
Thanks, but actually, my old SRDX Pro is not driven by the power amp, it is line level. I have it connected to the line out of a DAC.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was one of the amplifier driven energizers, when it's an early portable driver amp. (Stax sure has had a lot of models of earspeakers and energizers/amplifiers with similar names). BTW, Stax rated the SRDX-Pro for a maximum output of 370 Vrms, so it's a decent performer in this regard. It probably doesn't have the maximum current capability of the Ac operated amplifiers, so at higher frequencies the maximum output level will be less due to the capacitive load of the electrostatic elements.

Quote:

It's interesting though, that the supposedly inferior SRDX Pro can drive the Lambdas to ear bleed levels without any clipping. Also, despite many hours listening, I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the SRDX and the SRM-3 (which our man at Simply Stax describes as significantly better than the current 313, and not far behind the 717)

The SRM-3 was rated by Stax at only 300 Vrms maximum output, the same as the current SRM-006t and lower than the SRM-313 and old SRM-1 Mk 2.

So it could be that you were listening at louder levels with the SRM-3. Or maybe the music you listened to was such that the slight difference in maximum output levels (about 1.8 dB) was just enough to cause clipping. Listening to popular music, I never had any clipping problem with the Lambda Signature II. Ditto with most classical music. But with some favorite choral music the clipping was obvious unless I reduced my listening levels. The musical waveforms were such that, while the average level wasn't so high as to sound loud, the peaks were enough to make the amplifier clip. The few dB difference in sensitivity of the old Lambda Pros and greater output level from the SRM-1 Mk 2 made all the difference in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back