Upgrading my setup.
May 30, 2004 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Don't all get excited now, my setup is nothing impressive.

I'm pretty new to the audiophile scene, but I have the ears for it! Had an audiogram for work the other day which didn't believe me when I could hear the frequencies the system was putting out which normal folks wouldn't be able to hear. So! It's encouraged me to upgrade.

I currently have HD-600's as cans, the source, is unfortunately a Audigy 2 soundcard, but not always. My other source is an old Sharp MD-X5 stereo. One of the first few that came out with minidisc.

Now, currently I mainly listen to music that emanates from my audigy 2. From that, I have it running into a lead-in phono socket on the back of my Sharp MD-X5 & from there I plug my HD-600's in it (via headphone socket on front), hoping to get some form of amplifcation.

I think, aside from upgrading the source just yet, the best choice would be to purchase a dedicated headphone amp. I, unfortunately live in the U.K., which although possible, is a little bit of hassle to get the equipment from headroom. So, it'd be great to hear of some other amps that would be readily available from within the U.K.

My price range, is about the Sub-$500 region.

But, I am interested in upgrading my source. But, from what I see, most people seem to use DVD players, which struck me as a little bit odd at first, but I'll leave it to you guys who know best to inform me.

Thanks!

May 30, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm just curious, have you tried running directly from the soundcard and comparing it to how it sounds out of the amp? It could be just one less problem in the equation for you to worry about now if it sounds the same or better.

Do you listen to music on your computer or are you open to another source?
I'd like to know that before we factor in the cost of an amp. You may want another soundcard or source and go from there.

May 30, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I'm just curious, have you tried running directly from the soundcard and comparing it to how it sounds out of the amp? It could be just one less problem in the equation for you to worry about now if it sounds the same or better.

Do you listen to music on your computer or are you open to another source?
I'd like to know that before we factor in the cost of an amp. You may want another soundcard or source and go from there.

I generally, 99% of the time listen to music which comes from my computer. I find it easier, just a giant library infront of me. I also spend alot of time infront of the computer. BUT! Saying that, I also do use my stereo. I am open to another source, by all means. But, an AMP is something that I'm very interested in to release the potential of the HD600's.

But understandably, if crap is at the start of the equation, then crap will be at the end.

May 31, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog

Don't even try running audio off a computer if you value your audio quality at all. The RF interference alone coming from most modern switching power supplies can cause serious harmonic distortion, among other things, like the ubiquitous 50/60Hz hum. There's also loads of RF bouncing off of the walls of your case from your video card, network card, and so on.

The one acceptable way would be to run the audio digitally to an external soundcard (Extigy or USB), then optically from there to your stereo. Make sure you buy good optical cables or you'll run into jitter problems there, though. Hopefully your external soundcard will have some sort of buffering system to overcome the jitter from the PC.

Modern soundcards aren't designed for high-quality sound output. They're designed for reproducing canned sound like video game sound effects. Compared to a half-decent cd-player/dac system, they sound like the music's coming out of two tin cans.

That said, if you're going the external soundcard route, stay away from MP3. WMA reproduces the tonal purity and balance of music much better than MP3. Microsoft spent around $27 million properly tuning WMA, while most MP3 encoders are tuned in some geek's spare time.

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
Best advice, pm bangraman, fill him in on what you have and buy whatever he tells you.l

Although many people would frown at this kind of post I have to say [size=medium]EXCELLENT POST !! [/size]
cool.gif

Why?

Most people here will speak with USA prices/products/availability in mind. Things may be different out there in the UK and its better to ask a local (doesnt get too much better than Bangraman) for advice.

I dont recommend BLINDLY doing what he says although I am sure he wont lead you astray - make it a public discussion and get everybody's opinion.

[size=medium]Shazam!! 1500 posts!![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back