Upgrading My Portable Audio Player - Your Recommendations?
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

garetjax27

New Head-Fier
I currently own an Onkyo DP-X1A digital audio player, and I'm looking to upgrade it as the battery isn't holding much of a charge anymore and the hardware is definitely showing its age.

1) Is there a current portable DAP on the market today that would be considered the DP-X1A's equal?

2) What would be the logical step up/upgrade to the DP-X1A?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Mar 19, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 5
My suggestion would be Shanling M3X. I recently bought one and I am in love with it. After doing the 'revolving DAPs' thing for a couple years and going through 8 or 10 of them, the M3X is my favorite and the one I plan to hold on to for a while. My next two favorites were Hiby R5 Saber and Fiio M11 Pro (discontinued). My personal criteria for judging a DAP goes beyond strictly sound quality, however each of the aforementioned DAPs sound fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Of course I would love to throw down on an Astell&Kern SP2000 or a Cayin N8ii, but devices of that caliber are never goingto be in my price range. $500 is about my max and even that is pushing it. So anyway, I'm just rambling now, but my vote is for a Shanling M3X. And the Shanling M2X, which I have also owned (and still do) is pretty great too, if you are looking for a non-android DAP.

Attachments

• IMG_7943.JPG
    IMG_7943.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7944.JPG
    IMG_7944.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7945.JPG
    IMG_7945.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7946.JPG
    IMG_7946.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 5
My suggestion would be Shanling M3X. I recently bought one and I am in love with it. After doing the 'revolving DAPs' thing for a couple years and going through 8 or 10 of them, the M3X is my favorite and the one I plan to hold on to for a while. My next two favorites were Hiby R5 Saber and Fiio M11 Pro (discontinued). My personal criteria for judging a DAP goes beyond strictly sound quality, however each of the aforementioned DAPs sound fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Of course I would love to throw down on an Astell&Kern SP2000 or a Cayin N8ii, but devices of that caliber are never goingto be in my price range. $500 is about my max and even that is pushing it. So anyway, I'm just rambling now, but my vote is for a Shanling M3X. And the Shanling M2X, which I have also owned (and still do) is pretty great too, if you are looking for a non-android DAP.
Really appreciate the insight on the Shanling! I hadn’t really considered it (yet) as there are so many DAP options to choose from that it’s overwhelming.

That said, there are some things that I really do not like about DAPs, and that is the Android OS. It seems more often than not that that is the OS of choice, which is unfortunate as a custom “home brewed” OS by DAP manufacturers is fairly rare?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 5
I actually tend to agree with you about the android interface. It distracts me from the music too much. In fact, I often run my M3X in Prime Mode, meaning android capabilities are disabled and you can only access the Shanling Music app. Makes it effectively a non-android DAP. There are many android DAPs that offer this functionality. However, you should check out the M2X. Non-android. I was feeling the same way a while back - bound and determined to not have an android DAP. I ended up with the M2X, and I still use it and love it to this day. Owning the M2X is what prompted me to go for the M3X actually. My M2X:

Attachments

• IMG_6669.JPG
    IMG_6669.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6671.JPG
    IMG_6671.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6672.JPG
    IMG_6672.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6679.JPG
    IMG_6679.JPG