Upgrading my mp3 player.
Aug 1, 2009 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

deadly55

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Fuze, but it's wearing down. It's get a new one, or look for another mp3 player that has a better build quality and it needs to support flac. 150$ CAD is my limit. A microsdhc slot is required or a sdhc slot.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 22
The Cowon D2+ is a fine choice. You should be able to get an 8GB for under $150 CAD

And there are various other HDD-based mp3 players that have a lot more space and fully support rockbox, which can play FLAC, if you're interested in that.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 22
yeah i was looking at it. since it's going to be in my pocket can u use it without taking it out? and how scratch resistant is it? there's a 16 gig d2+ on sale for 175 atm.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 22
Oh, lol no, it's a bitch to use without looking at it.

Apparently though if you put it in lock mode, you can switch between songs with the volume buttons. I haven't tried it, though.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0x000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, lol no, it's a bitch to use without looking at it.

Apparently though if you put it in lock mode, you can switch between songs with the volume buttons. I haven't tried it, though.

really? I can still do basics without looking just fine using screens. (skip, back, pause, play)

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 22
Ive had a D2 for about a year now. Its a great player, but I'm really getting tired of the touchscreen. The interface isnt really that good, but everything else is great.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? I can still do basics without looking just fine using screens. (skip, back, pause, play)

It's still not nearly as easy, since you can't feel virtual buttons.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 22
Can people who have the player really answer?

When the player is in lock mode you can choose to lock it all (including hardware buttons) or just the touchscreen. When you only lock the touchscreen you can choose for the hardware button (+/- and M) to be either volume up/down and menu or next/previous song and play/pause.

You can definitly use the player EASILY in your pocket to play/pause, skip songs. When I commute for example I put it on random and use the hardware buttons only. I never need to use the touchscreen...

As for the UI... Yeah it's a small screen and it resistive (and probably not the best resisitive screen around - but it's more than 2 years old)... So usability could be better. Then again, once you're used to it, it's nothing a grown up can't handle.

Go for it.

BTW I did manage to scratch mine slightly, but it's never in a case and I am quite brutal with my toys... If anything, it's a very sturdy piece of hardware (does not feel like it, but I've had it for 2 years and it's keeping up with my careless lifestyle extermely well...)

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 22
Hey, by the way, the last Sansa firmware update allows Sansa Fuze to play FLAC, OGG, and the others.... mine is working. And it's not Rockbox, its native Sansa Fuze.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 22
Get new Fuze plus some protective sking. It sounds better than D2 to me, plays FLAC and has controls accessible without taking it off the pocket.

RE: D2. It is no more rugged that the Fuze. I think it is even more vulnerable due to the touch screen.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vhbaske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, by the way, the last Sansa firmware update allows Sansa Fuze to play FLAC, OGG, and the others.... mine is working. And it's not Rockbox, its native Sansa Fuze.

The D2 can also play OGG and FLAC in its native firmware. Its not gapless, but its close; the gap between songs is only about 1/4 second.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 22
the d2 isn't any more durable then the fuze? O.o yes i know that the fuze supports flac via firmware update.

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

It's still not nearly as easy, since you can't feel virtual buttons.

And,...........
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can people who have the player really answer?

When the player is in lock mode you can choose to lock it all (including hardware buttons) or just the touchscreen. When you only lock the touchscreen you can choose for the hardware button (+/- and M) to be either volume up/down and menu or next/previous song and play/pause.

You can definitly use the player EASILY in your pocket to play/pause, skip songs. When I commute for example I put it on random and use the hardware buttons only. I never need to use the touchscreen...

As for the UI... Yeah it's a small screen and it resistive (and probably not the best resisitive screen around - but it's more than 2 years old)... So usability could be better. Then again, once you're used to it, it's nothing a grown up can't handle.

Go for it.

BTW I did manage to scratch mine slightly, but it's never in a case and I am quite brutal with my toys... If anything, it's a very sturdy piece of hardware (does not feel like it, but I've had it for 2 years and it's keeping up with my careless lifestyle extermely well...)

Thanks to someone who actually has the player for answering. I love when you don't know, but answer anyways. I just sold mine recently to get the S9, so globiboulga is on point!!!

PS: What's up bro, The DarkSide here!!!
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And,...........

And, it can be a nuisance to deal with.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

And, it can be a nuisance to deal with.

Not really, as there are NO VIRTUAL BUTTONS when the player is in the hold state. The player is fully controllable when in a pocket.

Besides, you've never tried it, so how would you even know? The fact that you said it's controlled by virtual buttons completely discredits your statement.

I recently sold my D2, just traded a Fuze, have a clip, a Zune 120, an S9, just sold my Touch 2G 3 weeks ago, etc. I've also had a few Sony dap's, just not the X1000 series (yet,......). I've even tried the (blech!!! for SQ) Archos players, to my disappointment.

My point, don't make a blanket statement about a player you've never tried - get the fact's jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back