Upgrading My Listening Experience or HELP ME!!!
Dec 2, 2011 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FIRSTinSPACE

Head-Fier

Hi Guys,

I know you are all bored and just begging to be given questions to answer so here's one for you...

It's that time of year where decide whether to 'updgrade' my headphones or just upgrade my listening experience.

The huge majority of my listening is done through my Grado GR10's directly through my 80GB iPod Video 5.5.

I listen to a vast range of music genres, so I don't think it's important to list that here. 

I have a number of things which are literally doing my head in and I really hope that you can help (argue with each other) in the comments below.

I'm going to copy and paste this in different sections, with a question for each forum. The BOLD will be all I need answers from in this section, unless of course you want to chime in anyway.

IEM's

Do I upgrade my IEM's? I am uncertain whether I can get any better than what I am using right now. Going from my previous IEM, Westone 3's, I am aware that an amazing depth in bass and shimmering sparkle for treble isn't present in my Grado's. However, I know that the W3 often sounded muddy and a lot of the mids were lost in complex tracks. The GR10 is incredibly smooth and everything, especially vocals which are a little pushed forward, seem as natural as possible.

I do sometimes miss the depth of bass provided by the W3's but is there an IEM that offers those lows while not sacrificing everything else? 

An option would be the Westone 4, but what would this give me that I don't already have?

PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP's

I'm almost afraid to let go of my Grado's. The GR10 is such a joy to use and it's understated design does house something truely special. Being able to tuck them away in my pocket, if I am looking for something to listen to on my phone, on a boring journey across town before a gig or a night out is a pleasure of it's own. It's sometimes nice to just unwind and not get stressed out over the bit rate of a song.

I was looking in to Ray Samuels Amps and saw the 'Tomahawk' which is apparently designed for IEM's. If I was to purchase the AMP I'd probably upgrade my iPod to a 160GB Classic too. Question is, what benefit would I gain from an AMP of this quality?

Would there be much of a difference or would I be left unsatisfied, weeping behind my closed front door after receiving this much anticipated delivery?

CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES

Another option I've been thinking about is getting a pair of Full Sized, Closed Back Headphones for on the go. Mostly when I'm out and about or on the commute to work, but also for home listening. I mean, I still use my IEM for home listening but surely an in ear model couldn't match the sonic ability of a Full Sized Can? Right?

My options have been limited to two things, The Denon D7000 or the Beyer T5p.

I know the T5p is designed for portable use and is easy to drive which means I'll have the chance to be patient about getting a portable AMP for those. However, I've not heard too much about the Beyer headphones and reviews online seem to be scarce, despite their billing as the best audiophile quality, portable cans.

Would I benefit in terms of sound quality going from an IEM to these or would I be wanting more? I'm aware of the Denon D7000 but some say it's too bass heavy, is that true?

Thanks in advance.

You would make your Mom's proud

ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back