upgrading my koss ksc-35
Dec 29, 2001 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tracylynn

100+ Head-Fier
im thinking of upgrading my koss ksc-35 [gym cans]... i have no clue what to get? what want something.. to isolate outside noise.. portable. compact and lightwieght...

i mostly listen to dance and club muzik..... any suggestion?

well, the sony v6.7506 looks bulky and heavy from its pix. [although i havnt audition to it yet]

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 29
The 7506 ain't big and bulky. Trust me on that.....it's actually pretty small, if you look at it.

If you want something cheap and about hte quality of your KSC-35's, check out the Philips HP550's.

Anyways, depending on *what* you need, consider these:

Philips HP550 (downgrade in quality from 35
Sony MDR-EX70LP (Downgrade in quality from 35)
Koss UR-30 (Downgrade in quality from 35)
Sennheiser HD25SP
Beyerdynamic DT231
Sony MDR-V6
Sennheiser HD25
Etymotic ER6
Denon AHD-950
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Etymotic ER4P

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 29
Yup! Out of all of those, they are the only ones I have auditioned! They're dad's, and they are in the other room. *looks behind him*

*winks*

They are such an incredibly *small* downgrade from the KSC-35's, though!! They are soooooooo close!

BTW, they don't block out *much* sound, but, for supraural, cheap, easy to get, closed cans, they're pretty good! Dad uses them for TV watching, but they are great with music too.

Oh yea, I also have the MDR-EX70LP's. Depending on your ears, the EX70's may or may not isolate more sound than the HP550's. But, I believe they definitiely sound worse and are less comfy...

How much isolation do you need?

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

want something.. to isolate outside noise.. portable. compact and lightwieght...

The only things that really satisfy those criteria and sound better than the KSC-35 are the Etys
evil_smiley.gif

The V6 aren't very portable; I disagree with Gluegun, in that I find them to be too bulky for portable use, especially with the coiled, long cord. Same with many of the other "closed" cans that are circum/supra-aural.

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 29
Well, I thought they would be bigger when I picked them up and put them on at Mom's work (Kentucky Educational Television!)

But, the HP550's are small...don't isolate much.

If you want an upgrade in sound, and you want a decent amount of isolation, get Ety's, though.

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

The V6 aren't very portable

from its pix and spec... coiled, long cord etc etc etc. it just looks fat..and bulky

while, has anyone compared the philips hp550 to the sony mdr-ex70? which is better for techno.club drum n bass muzik...?

but then... the ety sounds good... but i have to save money its to dayman expensive $270 @ headphone.com

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 29
"BTW, they don't block out *much* sound, but, for supraural, cheap, easy to get, closed cans, they're pretty good! Dad uses them for TV watching, but they are great with music too.

Oh yea, I also have the MDR-EX70LP's. Depending on your ears, the EX70's may or may not isolate more sound than the HP550's. But, I believe they definitiely sound worse and are less comfy...

How much isolation do you need?"

... jus need isolation 4 use.. it commuting subway [b.a.r.t....etc.] IMO, lil' isolation is betta than open 'phone.. so HP500 sounds betta than the ex70 rite?

Dec 29, 2001 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 29
Woah woah woah!!!

You need enough isolation for a noisy subway??

That's not a *little* bit of isolation. That's a *lot* of isolation. Otherwise, you will end up damaging your ears by turning it up too loud!!

For example, for my particular ears, the MDR-EX70LP's do not give me much isolation. Depending on your ears, the isolation of these varies, by the way. I have trouble getting a good seal. In class, (it was finals week, and we didn't have a final that hour, so everyone was just screwing around), I popped them in and turned them up enough to get the sound blocked out.

This was in a 15 mW/channel old Sony Portable CD Player. When I took them out, my ears were hurting, and I had a mild case of tinnitus...

Scared, I stopped listening to headphones for a few days, until it went away.

Therefore, if you are on a noisy subway, I suggest you do *not* skimp on the isolation!! Go for Etymotics!

Dec 29, 2001 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 29
Tracy,

Well, since you're commuting on the subway, I can't think of a better headphone than one of the etys, probably the new er6 since it's straight out of a portable, and it's price isn't quadruple that of the v6
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

That's not a *little* bit of isolation. That's a *lot* of isolation. Otherwise, you will end up damaging your ears by turning it up too loud!!

dats y, i stop listen to muzik on the bus.... but i still use my koss ksc-35 ... running in the CITY park. in the park i can still hear car and road noise.. but it is much quiter than inside of the subway!!! do u agree?

off topic... if u have hearing damage....are there ways to fix it... or ur just deaf :)

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 29
Sad to say, damage your hearing and you're pretty much screwed.
eek.gif
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 29
At least you have a cute homepage.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back