Upgrading my headphones, $250 USD price point with some questions about the DT 770 and HD 595's
Oct 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Fakeyfakerson

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm currently using some Sennheiser hd 280 pro's, I've had them for a good 2 or 3 years and now I'm ready to upgrade. I've also been using onboard realtek HD audio for this time as well. Now here's where a lot of confusing information comes in.

I've been recommended the DT 770's up and down for my price point. The pro's are on amazon for $200, while I've seen some ebay auctions for $170. While this is below the $250 limit, I also have to factor in the cost of buying a new soundcard to go with it. So that being said, I'm looking for the best combination of headphone quality and soundcard quality for around $250-300 tops.

I was originally looking at the Sennheiser hd 595's ($189 on amazon), but like I said, I've heard nothing but praise for the DT 770's at this price point. Anyone have any opinions? I've heard they're bass heavy, and I'll be using them for everything from games, movies, and music (I listen to mostly indie/alternative/hip hop).

I also have some questions about the different versions. There's the 80 ohm, 250 ohm, and then the premier which cost $50 more and which I couldn't find much info about (Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones: Electronics) Are these worth the increase in price? Keep in mind I probably won't be able to afford an amp on my budget, since I'm already buying the cans and the card, so these have to sound good without one.

Can anyone offer some insight? I've had nothing but luck with Sennheisers so far, but the Beyerdynamics are looking good too so that's what I was leaning towards, based off of recommendations. Anyone have any other recommendations for great cans in this price point? This isn't the subforum for it so maybe I shouldn't bother asking and I'll delete this part if it's not allowed here, but I've also been recommended the Xonar DX soundcard, anything better? Thanks!

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 24
I'm pretty sure the point of the 80 ohm version was for consumers who don't have the amp to drive the 250 ohm. So if you're not getting an amp then the 80 ohm one would be for you. In any case, happy listening with the DT770 if that's what you end up with, I'm trying to get a pair myself.
dt880smile.png

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 24
I own a pair of the dt770/80's and they are indeed very bass heavy, very boomy. The 250/600 ohm versions seem to tighten it up from what I've heard though.

I haven't listened to the 595's so can't speak on those.

You might want to look into the Denon d2000's in that price range, lowest I've seen them is around $190 though.

The Xonar DX/D1 is a decent all around card for what you're looking for, if you keep your eyes open you can snag an openbox one off newegg for about 50 dollars or so.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 24
Yea, right now the xonar is going for $80 with a $20 mail in rebate (yuck), but they aren't even in stock. That's mainly what I'm looking for, a cost effective, all around card for gaming/movies/music (like my headphones!
dt880smile.png
) Would you guys say that they're too bass heavy, to the point that it'll be distracting? Also, anyone happen to know the difference between the 'pro' and 'premier'? From what I've gathered, there's a 80 ohm and 250 ohm version of the pro, but I'm not sure what's special about the premier.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 24
If you're getting the DT770, do get the 250 ohm as it's much better than the 80 ohms, supposedly. I did own a DT770 PRO 250 ohms and it was quite fun.

The Sennheiser HD595 has a better, more refined treble than the DT770s, and it sounds more natural than the DT770. But if you need bass, the HD595 has none.

I've never heard of the "premier" version.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard of the "premier" version.

I think they're talking about the 250ohm "pro" and
"consumer" models. The consumer version is more popular and supposedly designed more for audiophile use. I have the DT770 pro 80 and I like them; they isolate reasonably well, I enjoy the sound (although its often EQed to tone down the bass some), and they are reasonably comfortable despite the powerful clamping force. On the other hand the bass can be too much with some music, and if you listen to a lot of classical I'd look elsewhere, also, despite the massive amounts of bass, its not all that deep so subbass can sometimes fade into the background. I personally think you'd be quite happy with them though!

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they're talking about the 250ohm "pro" and
"consumer" models. The consumer version is more popular and supposedly designed more for audiophile use. I have the DT770 pro 80 and I like them; they isolate reasonably well, I enjoy the sound (although its often EQed to tone down the bass some), and they are reasonably comfortable despite the powerful clamping force. On the other hand the bass can be too much with some music, and if you listen to a lot of classical I'd look elsewhere, also, despite the massive amounts of bass, its not all that deep so subbass can sometimes fade into the background. I personally think you'd be quite happy with them though!

I linked the 'premier' one in the original post, from amazon. They cost $50 more and look slightly different than the 'pro' version. Those Denon D2000's look mighty nice, but they're $300, I wouldn't be able to afford a sound card and I think it would be a shame using such expensive headphones with onboard sound. Any other suggestions in the $200-250 range?

If I had my way, I would get the 250 ohm dt770's, but alas I would need an amplifier for that, which brings me back to not being able to afford a sound card.
redface.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 24
DT770/80 -> Very bassy. At times i get bass headaches from them. They're also very clampy i find and I can't wear them for extended periods of time (personally). The 250 ohm version sounds tighter and is less bass heavy.

I find the HD595's much more comfortable, they're nothing tooo special. They're quite bright headphones.

Both don't particularly advantage greatly from proper amping, i'd say your source is more important for both headphones.

Obviously the 595's are open and you can't use them in public very well. The DT770s are quite sturdy but bulky - i use them for an hour long commute + uni. I fall asleep with them on sometimes at uni/on the train.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770/80 -> Very bassy. At times i get bass headaches from them. They're also very clampy i find and I can't wear them for extended periods of time (personally). The 250 ohm version sounds tighter and is less bass heavy.

I find the HD595's much more comfortable, they're nothing tooo special. They're quite bright headphones.

Both don't particularly advantage greatly from proper amping, i'd say your source is more important for both headphones.

Obviously the 595's are open and you can't use them in public very well. The DT770s are quite sturdy but bulky - i use them for an hour long commute + uni. I fall asleep with them on sometimes at uni/on the train.

Well I don't think the 250 ohm version is feasible since I won't be using an amp, which leaves me with the 80 ohm version. How would you compare this to the Denon D2000, if you have any experience.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 24
Alright well I think the hd 595's are out of the equation. Now I'm trying to decide between the dt 770's and the D2000's. Both of these sound better with amps, but I wouldn't be able to afford one, anyone have any thoughts on these? Also, it looks like the Denon's lose their warranty when you by them through an "unauthorized dealer". The cheapest I found them online was $220, through an unauthorized dealer which means no warranty, whereas all the authorized dealers sell them at $350. The beyerdynamics don't seem to have this problem, so I don't think I would have a problem getting them off an ebay retailer for $170. Hmmmmm.

Edit: And this is what I'm seeing for the dt 770 premiums, they look like 880's

BEYERDYNAMIC DT 770 Premium 32 Ohm
As any other model of the Premium series, the DT 770 is a perfect combination of design and function made in Germany. This headphone features a true sound definition with phenomenal bass response and the closed design ensures excellent ambient noise attenuation to enjoy music without any disturbances.

Actually I'm so confused, these online retailers all use different pictures for the pro/premium some say 80, some 250, others 32. All so confusing.

link: Beyerdynamic | DT 770 Premium Closed-Back Stereo Studio | 487907

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770/80 -> Very bassy. At times i get bass headaches from them. They're also very clampy i find and I can't wear them for extended periods of time (personally). The 250 ohm version sounds tighter and is less bass heavy

The DT770 is one of the few excessively bass headphones that dont give you a headache because of the bass IMO. Most headaches I got was because of the clamp force of the pro which reduces over time.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 24
I would say save some cash and get the shure srh840. They are a huge step up from the dt770/80 I recently sold. Everything is better from top to bottom. They sound soooo much more musical. Bass extends deep without being boomy. It's also very well defined. The mids are buttery smooth and the highs are very detailed and airy(for a closed can) without a hint of sibilance. And they can be driven easily out of a portable, and also scales very well with higher end equipment. I waited to get these till they passed the fotm phase to see if people would still be very high on them. Now I'm like why did I wait so long. I never heard the denons, so I can't comment on those. But I will say they are a significant upgrade from the dt770s. Right now you can get them for about 135.00 shipped brand new. All of this is IMO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back