Upgrading my DAC
Oct 11, 2016 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

theHof

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm thinking maybe it might be time to upgrade my dac.  I've been using my Fiio X3 pretty much only as a DAC for a while now.  A couple other aspects of my setup might be getting upgraded so it got me thinking about maybe upgrading from my Fiio..

I probably won't have a ton of money considering the other stuff that may be coming but I'm just curious.  Is there anything under $200 that would be a significant step up?  Anything under $300?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks everyone!

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 14
What headphones do you use?

Is you FiiO the X3 or X3 gen 2?

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 14
At the least, i believe the Modi Multibit would be a significant upgrade over any version of the x3. Don't forget though that if you use an outboard dac that has no amp, you will need one of those as well. How are you currently amping for your phones? You could get a GOv2 or a dragonfly or similar to get both. I like the MM better than the dac section of any of the combo units near the price that i've heard though.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 14
  What headphones do you use?

Is you FiiO the X3 or X3 gen 2?

Grado SR325e but I also use my DAC with my Klipsch Heresys.  It's Gen 1

At the least, i believe the Modi Multibit would be a significant upgrade over any version of the x3. Don't forget though that if you use an outboard dac that has no amp, you will need one of those as well. How are you currently amping for your phones? You could get a GOv2 or a dragonfly or similar to get both. I like the MM better than the dac section of any of the combo units near the price that i've heard though.

Well right now I do use the Fiio if I'm using headphones, planning on getting a Little Dot 1+ for those though.  I am a lot more interested in getting a seperate dac so I'm going to look into the MM more.  

Thanks guys!  Any other input would be great!

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 14
  Grado SR325e but I also use my DAC with my Klipsch Heresys.  It's Gen 1
Well right now I do use the Fiio if I'm using headphones, planning on getting a Little Dot 1+ for those though.  I am a lot more interested in getting a seperate dac so I'm going to look into the MM more.  
Thanks guys!  Any other input would be great!

I'm guessing part of what you need for the audio upgrade is a external headphone amplifer, that also comes with a separate line-output, for sending a audio signal to the Klipsch Heresys.
Like a Schiit Magni 2 Uber ($150) or Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier ($80).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222256105992?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Then spend whatever is leftover your audio audio budget could go for a DAC.

Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $40) makes a decent DAC, to go whatever external headphone amplifier you get.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262663213815?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hifimediy also makes what I guess you could call fairly budget frendly ($42-$70) DACs.
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=15

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 14
If you can stretch to $350, iFi Micro iDAC2.   Most especially if you need a DAC/ head amp combo.  Honestly, even if you did not need the head amp this is a killer DAC by itself, even at the price point.  

If you don't need the combo and are looking at DAC only and are content with PCM only decoding, I would agree with the Schiit Modi Multibit already recommended.  

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Just thought I'd let everyone (and the thread itself for any potential future googlers) know I just bought a Modi 2 Multibit. Pretty excited to AB it vs my humble little DAP. And thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 14
  if I get a sound card just to use for Toslink should I just get the cheapest thing with glass toslink or does it matter quality-wise?

Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card ($20-$40).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back