Upgrading My Current Setup
Apr 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

radjs

New Head-Fier
Here's my current setup:

MacBook Pro -> NuForce µDAC -> Corda Move (original) -> Grado SR325i / Ultrasone HFI-780 / UE Triple.Fi 10

But I think I'm going to sell my HFI-780s and the Corda Move and try something new. I can spend about $700 on upgrades.

My first thought is to upgrade my amp from the Move to a Dyanlo. The Sheer Audio HA-006+ looks like a good option at $320 shipped. That would leave me with about $400 to spend on headphones. These headphones come to mind:

AKG K701
Sennheiser HD650
Denon D2000

These headphones are more in the $250 range, but it seems the best $400-500 phones are Grados, and I don't think I need new Grados until I sell my 325i's. Therefore my new setup would look like this:

MacBook Pro -> NuForce µDAC -> Sheer HA-006+ -> AKG K701 / Sennheiser HD650 / Denon D2000

The problem is I don't know what phones fit me best. Maybe you guys could help? I appreciate bass, but don't obsess over it. Instead, I prefer headphones that show details and make me feel like I'm up close to the music. When the music sounds far away (i.e. laid back), I just end up turning up the volume to compensate. Also, open or closed isn't a big deal.

It might help if I listed some of my favorite music:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Björk - Homogenic
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

That said, I also listen to jazz, rap, classical, etc… Ideally I'd like a pair of headphones that make any genre sound good, even if they aren't the best for a specific genre.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by radjs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is I don't know what phones fit me best. Maybe you guys could help? I appreciate bass, but don't obsess over it. Instead, I prefer headphones that show details and make me feel like I'm up close to the music. When the music sounds far away (i.e. laid back) because I just end up turning up the volume to compensate.

HD600 should work. You could hold onto your Move, at least until you give the 'phones a good run.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 3
If you like the Ultrasone sound I think you'll enjoy the Denons. I've heard very good things about Dynalo and Denon synergy. If you're looking to try something different I'd probably go for the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back