Upgrading my computer audio
Jun 9, 2017 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LC3

New Head-Fier
My computer is my audio system, and I'm trying to choose the right upgrade path.

current system:
onboard Realtek ALC662
Sony MDR-V6 plugged into front audio

This combo sounds pretty good, but I want to get a Beyerdynamic DT880 for the advantages of an (semi)open headphone. I'm also considering a DAC/amp combo, probably the Schitt Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber or Multibit.

With the DT880, would I hear a significant difference between the ALC662 and the Schiit stack?

If I get the Schiit stack, would it matter whether I got the DT880 32 Ohm or 250 Ohm in terms of sound quality?

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 10
I would definitely go with the multibit if it is in budget. It just has that sound that brings things to life for me YMMV . I think you would be fine with the Magni as most Schiit amps have plenty of power. Really liked the 880 250's out of my Bottlehead Crack but that is a bit down the round just wanted to throw that out there.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 10
My computer is my audio system, and I'm trying to choose the right upgrade path.

current system:
onboard Realtek ALC662
Sony MDR-V6 plugged into front audio
This combo sounds pretty good, but I want to get a Beyerdynamic DT880 for the advantages of an (semi) open headphone. I'm also considering a DAC/amp combo, probably the Schitt Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber or Multibit.
With the DT880, would I hear a significant difference between the ALC662 and the Schiit stack?
If I get the Schiit stack, would it matter whether I got the DT880 32 Ohm or 250 Ohm in terms of sound quality?

Is this setup for FPS gaming or music or movies or audio creation/editing or other?

The DT880 is fairly well balanced and a little on the bright side.
As long as your getting a decent DAC/amp, go with whatever is cheaper (between 32-Ohm & 250-Ohm).

Jun 10, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 10
This setup is for stereo music. I listen mostly with headphones, but plan to get some good near-field speakers.
As music is usually stereo (2-channels), really have no need for sound card features.
And as your looking at adding (a pair of) self-powered studio monitors,
a headphone amplifer with a separate line output would do the job.

Do you have a budget range for your audio equipment purchases?

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 10
As music is usually stereo (2-channels), really have no need for sound card features.
And as your looking at adding (a pair of) self-powered studio monitors,
a headphone amplifer with a separate line output would do the job.
Are the STX II's 124 DB SNR, premium clock source and power supply, and swappable op-amps irrelevant features? They seem impressive, but I don't know how much of an improvement over onboard audio I'd actually hear.

Do you have a budget range for your audio equipment purchases?
I was originally thinking $300 for a DAC/amp, because that's what either an STX II or a Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber stack would cost. The Multibit adds an extra $100, bringing the stack up to a painful $400. I could forego the Multibit and get the Uber. Or I could get an STX II, which is available for a much easier $250.

If I get just the amp, it would be either a Magni 2 Uber or Vali 2 (I could probably be talked into an Asgard 2).

If it were me, I'd get the DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 ohm, Magni 2 Uber, and Modi Multibit. (And I did own all those.)

You can read a comparison between the three versions here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones
Thank you very much for that link. I'll go with the 600 Ohm version.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 10
Are the STX II's 124 DB SNR, premium clock source and power supply, and swappable op-amps irrelevant features? They seem impressive, but I don't know how much of an improvement over onboard audio I'd actually hear.
I ran an original Essence STX, with AD797BR op-amps and was happy with that, until replaced with my ($305) Audio-GD NFB-15 DAC/amp.
I'm sure your on-board ALC662 could be outdone with a $30 add-on sound card.
And an Asus Xonar Essence should be even nicer.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I've decided to go with a Schiit stack.

I read one person's comment about the STX II's headphone amp being better than the typical card's amp, but not very refined. I had a feeling that's where the STX II would nod. But the biggest deal breaker is having to select speaker or headphone output manually. At the least, Asus should make auto-detect a feature that can be turned on or off. Another inconvenience is having to deal with software volume sliders. I look forward to having one proper potentiometer.

After I get used to the Schiit stack, I'll post a (non-technical) review.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back