upgrading my beyers..
May 25, 2004 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone..

i've decided i love the comfort and sound of my 531s so much, i feel like trying out the entire beyer range.

although i kinda like the grado sound, i actually prefer the beyer sound, not sure abt senns though (may try that out later).

how do the 831-880s-990s compare to the 531s, both in terms of comfort, and sound quality/type of sound?

I know of people who'd choose 531s out of the entire beyer range, but thats not stopping my itch to wanna try them all out..

any recommendations?

Also, regarding the 4ps, what kind of sound do they provide? would they be good for listening to rock/electronica?

May 26, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 9
Just a comment on the etymotics. I think my 4P/S canalphones are great for detailed listening of almost anything. But for siting back and rocking there are some artists that come across a bit too detailed. Many including me find the bass a bit light sometimes, but in a quite room the bass is certainly there and beautifully detailed.

That said, re-listening to all the old stuff like the Beatles, The Who, etc... provides a whole new experience as you hear details you never knew existed. In fact, you'll never feel the same way about anything you hear with the etys, you kinda remember those little details and even when listening on non-critical equipment like in the car, you recall those muffled or missing bits of detail. Curious.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

May 26, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Are you running the 531s from an amplified source?
If not, I'd suggest getting at least a basic headphone amp first
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT531 definately benefits from amplification and the higher end Beyers are pretty much all designed to run from an amplified source.

In terms of sound, you may like the DT880, the DT831 is a fairly bright and detailed headphone while the DT990 (and 770) are fairly dark and bass heavy.
There's actually quite a lot of difference in sound between some of the models
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 9
hi there, i realized that when i first got my MINT
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin
Are you running the 531s from an amplified source?
If not, I'd suggest getting at least a basic headphone amp first
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT531 definately benefits from amplification and the higher end Beyers are pretty much all designed to run from an amplified source.

In terms of sound, you may like the DT880, the DT831 is a fairly bright and detailed headphone while the DT990 (and 770) are fairly dark and bass heavy.
There's actually quite a lot of difference in sound between some of the models
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 9
IMHO, the Beyer DT531 is an incredible headphone which is only beaten by the DT880 when used with a very top notch system. The only headphones that I've owned that I've enjoyed as much are the Sony MDR-CD3000, and even those are more system dependent and picky than the DT531 (I only enjoy them as much when you EQ some added bass kick to the CD3000).

The DT531 is better than the AKG K240S (by far), Sennheiser HD580, K271, DT931, DT770 and DT990, IMHO.

May 26, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

The ER-4S is great for bass provided that it is inserted deeply into the ear canals. This takes some practice, at least for myself. The white tips should just be sticking out of the canals - that's how deep it should go (of course, subject to an individual's own comfort - don't force it). It has one of the most accurate bass that I have heard - to me even better than the HD 650s.

May 26, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 9
hmm we meet again pbirkett!!
600smile.gif

i can vouch for the 531s being better than my k271s... but i guess they serve a different purpose.. my 271s come with me to the library....

cansman: hmm i have a 4p coming soon, and i'll probably get a p->s convertor.... shall report more if i prefer those over my 531s..

my 531s are on my head at least 4 hrs a day... i wonder if i'll ever find something else which i prefer... but thanks for the advice so far guys....

May 26, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpo245
i wonder if i'll ever find something else which i prefer...

Its certainly not guaranteed
biggrin.gif
It would be much better for your wallet if I stopped there - I certainly wished I had now, nevertheless, I know what curiosity is like - after all, it is the reason I have wasted yet more money on headphones that I have ended up not liking.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back