1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading Modi to Bifrost worth?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Arisbor, Aug 31, 2017.
  1. Arisbor
    So im running a pair of 650hd from Sennheiser with a Lyr 2 schiit amp and Modi as my DAC, would there be a big difference if i Upgraded my Modi to a Schiit Bifrost? ty.
    PS:sorry about my english

2. pinnahertz
    Should be no difference at all.

3. Arisbor
    ty

4. Blaze55
    Multibit?

5. Puma Cat
    Yes, there is a big difference. I just did this comparison with my Modi 2 Uber and an original-spec Bifrost, and really, no comparison. The Bifrost sounds considerably better than a Modi.

6. aristos_achaion Contributor
    FWIR, the Modi Multibit and the Bifrost Multibit basically sound the same. (I haven't heard a mimby to test it myself.) If you're talking about one of the delta-sigma versions of the Modi or Bifrost, there there very well could be a difference.

7. Puma Cat
    Thanks for the info. However, the OP didn't say ask about a Modi 2 Uber Multibit compared to a Bifrost Multibit, he just asked if a Bifrost would sound better than a Modi. And, it would. And Bifrost also sounds better than a Modi 2 Uber.

I would also wager that, in a high-resolution 2-channel loudspeaker system, one could clearly hear the difference between a Modi Multibit and a Bifrost Multibit. Especially if said system was configured with a complete Shunyata power distribution and power cables to take the noise floor way down (which it will do, in spades). For example, you can't use a Shunyata Venom Digital AC power cord with a Modi Multibit and and you can with a Bifrost, and that alone will make a big difference.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  8. Luminance
    I have read a lot of reports on reddit where people wrote they struggled to hear the difference between Modi 2 Uber & Bifrost. Some wrote that Bimby is indeed better, but the improvement was very subtle. Certainly not a big difference.
    So it really depends how much spare money you have. The biggest difference always comes from the headphones and investing a lot of money into a DAC/amp combo while having already dated headphone might be not ideal.

9. Puma Cat
    I can't speak to what other people have observed, only what I and a good friend/audio buddy have observed in controlled A/B comparison; and that is original spec Bifrost sounds signficantly better than a Modi 2 Uber (and this in conjunction with using a Sonore microRendu streamer). A lot of this might have to do with the resolving capabilities of the systems folks (headphone-based, I presume) are using to do these comparisons on. In my case, it's a 2-channel loudspeaker system with close-to-SOTA Conrad-Johnson based tube amplification chain and Dynaudio speakers: Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp, Conrad-Johnson LP70S stereo power amp, Michell Gyro SE turntable with SME V arm and Koestu Urushi Vermilion cartridge, E.A.R. 324 phono stage, Shunyata Triton power distribution with compelete Shunyata power cords, Sonore microRendu USB streamer v1.4, Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC and Schiit Eitr USB/SPDIF convertor as my interim digital setup while my Gungnir is away getting upgraded (see below). All Audioquest Columbia or Colorado interconnects, and Dynaudio Contour S3.4 with Dynaudio Esotar 2 tweeter upgrade (the best soft-dome tweeter on the planet).

[​IMG]

On a system with this level of resolution/capability you can very clearly hear how even a 1st-gen Bifrost is superior to Modi 2 Uber. If you live in the SF Bay Area, you are welcome to come over and hear for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Sir_Cockroach_Slayer
    It's full of stars...