Upgrading modded X-Fi Xtreme Music to Essence ST/STX - worth it?
Mar 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fufula

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm wondering if upgrading to Essence ST or STX, from my modded (AD8599 / BlackGate cap) X-Fi Xtreme Music that I'm using with HFI580s (quite happy with them, for now) would provide me with a noticeable SQ improvement. I guess what I'm looking for the most is improved soundstage, less analytical/digital sound, highs that don't make my ears bleed.

I still play a lot of games, so I'm guessing this is the better way to go than some external audiophile sound card / DAC solution. I'm open to suggestions, though.

So, should I upgrade ASAP, stick with my trusty X-Fi, or look for something else? Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 2
I would say the sound quality upgrade would be worth it. You're going to lose some gaming options though. I would advise you to try and see if you can get a STX/ST to listen to. They are very clear and detailed and if you like a sound signature more like the X-fi's The STX/ST may be to clear for you. Of course you can always change out all the opamps and tune it more to your liking. I have Auzen X-fi and the STX and ST and I like all of them.

Since you admit you play alot of games I would suggest you grab an external DAC/Headamp and connect it to your X-fi using a S/Pdif digital connection. This would give you all the features and functions of the X-fi card but the upgraded sound quality of the DAC/head amp. Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back