Upgrading Logitech Z-2300s - What To Choose?
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

joejoejoe

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Right now I am using a pair of 2.1 Logitech Z-2300 speakers to listen to music/movies on my computer through an Asus Xonar Essence ST with modded op amps.  I use a set of Sennheiser HD600s when I use headphones and they sound fantastic to me, but I'm looking for a replacement for the 2300s for an overall better non-headphone listening experience.

I do watch movies occasionally, but I am primarily using this system for music, and listen to FLAC and vinyl through it.  It was easier to choose a pair of headphones to suit my needs, but determining on speakers is a different battle.  I'm not bass crazy, so I don't want to say that a sub is mandatory right away, as I would favor clarity/depth/separation over a bunch of oomph.

Any recommendations as for what to look at?  I'd like to keep it around $500-750, maybe even cheaper if there's something of exceptional value compared to the Z-2300s.  Somebody pointed out the new Audioengine 5+ model: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5-Plus#overview  Any thoughts on that one in particular?  As of now I'm pretty much open to anything.

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 12
Check out also KRK monitors..
They have amazing imaging,beautiful sounding mids and soft highs....
But they are near fields,so that means that to get the most out of them you have to be sitted in front of your desk..

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Check out also KRK monitors..
They have amazing imaging,beautiful sounding mids and soft highs....
But they are near fields,so that means that to get the most out of them you have to be sitted in front of your desk..

I am usually at my desk or in the room, which is not exceptionally large, so I do not believe that would be much of an issue. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I am usually at my desk or in the room, which is not exceptionally large, so I do not believe that would be much of an issue. 

No that would not be an issue but bare in mind that in order to achieve the ultimate listening experience you have to position them right and be in the center of their sweet spot..
You should find a place to audition them first...
Logitech speakers are crap compared to them....
They will blow your mind...
basshead.gif

And your neighbours too...
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
No that would not be an issue but bare in mind that in order to achieve the ultimate listening experience you have to position them right and be in the center of their sweet spot..
You should find a place to audition them first...
Logitech speakers are crap compared to them....
They will blow your mind...
basshead.gif

And your neighbours too...
biggrin.gif

Gotcha.  I'm now painfully aware of the Logitech's being crap.  I've dealt with them for far too long and it's time for an upgrade.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Good for you that you realised they are not for listening to quality music..
I have the z5500 for less than a year and from their early days in my room i felt like i was missing a lot when it comes to music..
I now use them only for movies and games..

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 12
You should also check out passive speakers and a cheap amp, in my experience they outperform cheaper powered speakers. If space is an issue I really like KRK speakers but only the 6s and 8s since the 5 feels likes its gonna blow if you push them too hard.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
You should also check out passive speakers and a cheap amp, in my experience they outperform cheaper powered speakers. If space is an issue I really like KRK speakers but only the 6s and 8s since the 5 feels likes its gonna blow if you push them too hard.

I am not opposed to this.  I'd just like a solid product preferably in the price range I gave that I will notice significant improvement over the Z-2300s with, and is compatible with my Essence ST.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 12
On eBay, there are a pair used Infinity Beta 10s for $150
For $100-$150 you can get a decent stereo receiver.
(run optical from STX to receiver)
Velodyne sub-woofer at Amazon, $180 shipped.

or
Polk Audio Monitor 30s, $110
Polk Audio Monitor 40s, $150
(but Beta 10s still better)

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 12
krk do a passive version of the rp6  if you wanted a passive set-up, if you go with a passive set-up you have much more choice in good quality speakers the Behringer B2031P are excellent speakers, Infinity Primus , various polks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back