Upgrading JDS Labs Atom Amp to JDS El Amp II? Great customer service and products!
Jul 26, 2020 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Digeeedad

100+ Head-Fier
I had a case of budget constrained "upgradeitis" recently and sold some audio gear to purchase a new headphone and JDS Labs' Atom Amp and El DAC II. This very enjoyable combination sounds terrific but I'm wondering if, besides build quality and appearance, there would be any audio benefit to upgrading from the Atom to the JDS Labs El Amp II? Have to admit that the El II stack looks pretty awesome but the Atom-El DAC II "stack" is really not bad either.

2020-07-26 19.48.46.jpgel amp stack 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 8
I had a case of budget constrained "upgradeitis" recently and sold some audio gear to purchase a new headphone and JDS Labs' Atom Amp and El DAC II. This very enjoyable combination sounds terrific but I'm wondering if, besides build quality and appearance, there would be any audio benefit to upgrading from the Atom to the JDS Labs El Amp II? Have to admit that the El II stack looks pretty awesome but the Atom-El DAC II "stack" is really not bad either.

2020-07-26 19.48.46.jpgel amp stack 2.jpg

Best to email JDS directly, they will give an honest and detailed answer from my experience.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 8
Please tell me what you find out. I'm curious myself. I had the El Amp I and always was the opinion that El Amp I, II and Atom must sound the same. But never heard the Atom.
[/QUO

I really love JDS Labs, as their customer service, helpfulness and products are terrific! I've emailed them several times, including on a Sunday evening, always receiving a reply to my questions within a very short time, sometimes minutes, including that Sunday. In answer to my question about upgrading from my Atom amp to an El AMP II, I received this reply...
"Atom Amp performs equally well compared to EL Amp II, so the choice should be made based on design rather than sound quality." At some point, I will still probably upgrade to the El Amp II, as I really like its design and how it "stacks" and pairs with the El DAC II. I really appreciate the replies I've received and the honesty of advice! Great company to do business with!

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 8
The Atom Amp has it's power switch incorporated in the front mounted volume control whereas the El Amp II has its power switch on the back panel. The headphone jack on the El Amp II is located in the middle of its front panel directly above the El DAC II's front panel function button/control. Does anyone with the El Amp or El DAC find the power button or headphone jack placement problematic? How about the top mounted volume control... like or dislike compared to front mounted volume control?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 8
It's been a while since I lasted posted in this topic. Since I just made some changes, thought I'd update, which might be relevant to someone. I received a new El Amp II from JDS Labs yesterday. Curiosity got the best of me and I got the El Amp II to replace my Atom Amp. Now the "El Stack II" is complete, with the El Amp II and El Dac II. Really having a great time with amp and DAC. I had wondered earlier, if the were any noticeable differences in sound quality between the Atom Amp and El Amp II. My "system" now consists of the El Amp II, El DAC II and Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphone fitted with Dekoni Elite Hybrid ear pads. I almost exclusively stream hi quality music from a subscription to Qobuz through Audirvana. I had really been enjoying the DT 1990 before the amp switch, doing some "pad rolling" using the Beyerdynamic supplied Analytical and Balanced ear pads, Dekoni Elite Velours and now for the past week the Elite Hybrids. The Hybrids are staying on the 1990... significant and awesome increase in bass/low end response,a taming a slight treble spike, and leaving other frequencies unaltered and music to my ears. The Elite Velours were a great improvement but the Hybrids really woke the 1990 up, with pretty amazing and pleasing fullness. So... yesterday then, I added the El Amp II to the mix and am loving it!

The huge, top mounted volume control not only looks cool but has terrific and precise volume adjustments. With the El Amp II, I'm needing to increase the volume knob quite a bit less for my preferred listen level, as compared to the Atom. Both can easily drive the DT 1990 which has a 250 ohm impedance. Although probably not huge or even significant change, from the first song I played on the 1990, the sound seems a bit fuller, a bit more detailed and bass seems to have improved in impact and presence. Soundstage seems a bit improved, with terrific separation, precise imaging location. Again, that big volume knob is tons of "fun", ultra smooth in movement and a much larger volume adjustment span,.6 o'clock to 6 o'clock, from off to max. The DT 1990s are usually at a good listening volume at about the 10 o'clock position. Definitely not the most expensive or "sophisticated" system but I can't imagine being more pleased with sound quality. Through decades of dabbling in audiophile land, this is easily an audio match or besting, of anything I've owned!

The Atom Amp is actually amazingly great, especially providing superb audio quality for its $99 price. Really glad I made the switch to complete the El II stack but I'm confident that the Atom stack with the now available Atom DAC is terrific! Definitely loving the JDS Labs Company and staff! They produce amazing equipment, with outstanding customer care! I emailed them a question about set up last night about 7pm Calif. time and got an almost immediate reply from John Seaber, who I believe is owner/CEO of the company. They close at 5:30 Illinois time, so I received the email reply way after their closing! VERY happy customer here!

2020-10-30 14.30.04.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, JDS Labs customer service is excellent. I have the Atom Amp and something was loose making the circuit board move back an forth. So, I emailed them last Sunday night. John replied back within about 15-20 minutes. The screws on the bottom of the amp under the rubber feet needed to be tightened. He said I would need a hex screwdriver which I did have. He also said if I need new rubber feet, he would gladly send out a new set for me. Well, all the screws were very loose, I tightened them up and everything is great now. But, unfortunately all of the stick under the rubber feet came off. I emailed John again and he sent me a new set which I just received today. Yes, great customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back