Upgrading headphones
Aug 16, 2004 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my MX500s. They're a great value for $15, but just not cutting it anymore. I have pretty good hearing, so clarity is very important to me. I listen to pretty much everything, so I prefer a balanced sound, don't really care about bass, as long as it's there. Comfort isn't that big of a deal as long as it doesn't intrude on the listening experience.

After reading so many good things about the ER-4Ps, I really want to get a pair. They seem to be perfect for me, but they cost quite a bit and I'm having some doubts. From what I've read, I can get a pretty good set of cans for under $100. Also, I can't stand sibilance, which I've heard can be an issue with the etys, though that might not be an issue with high quality mp3s. Not having really heard many high end phones before, am I going to be able to notice much of a difference between, say, the ER-6s and the 4Ps? Anyways, are the 4Ps my best bet, or would I be just as satisfied by spending a lot less? Keep in mind that I'll mainly be listening out of an iPod, not planning on getting an amp.

Thanks in advance,

the Judge

Aug 16, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 3
as long as you dont plan on jogging, and you dont care that everyone else can hear your music due to the open nature of it, for 100 bucks you should get the Alessandro MS-1. sorry to sound like a broken record, but especially with the flat pads from todd for a bit more, you have the best bargain in town. detail, bass, etc all in the Grado signature sound. Etys will run you $188 new, maybe in the $150s used...if you really want to stay in the canal/bud realm, never mind the MS-1s tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back