Upgrading Headphones
Jan 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lurid

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Grado SR-60's and i've got about $200 to spend in whatever the most noticeable way to improve the sound is. I listen to metal almost exclusively and I live in a dorm room. So I figure headphones (or an amp) would be the best option since I don't have to worry about pissing anyone off with a loud sub / speakers.

Which do you think would give me the most noticeable improvement, amping the SR-60's or replacing them? Are the SR-225's good for this application unamped? Looking through the guide they are with the SR-60's as not necessarily needing an amp to sound good. On another note i'm happy with my SR-60's but the open design has me wondering, as its the only non-IEM design i've ever used what are the advantages of the other types (sealed, closed, etc)?

I'm reading on the subject, but any help is appreciated
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 9
In my opinion, the SR225 are your best bet. Most other headphones will not handle metal nearly as well as Grado. What improvements specifically are you looking for? The Sr225 will benefit more from an amp than the SR60, but an amp is still not necessary. As for other kinds of headphones. Most people around here believe that open headphones sound that best. I agree with this, although in the cheaper range, IEMs have more detail than headphones, IMO. The only thing IEMs, sealed, and closed really offer is isolation. The isolation is for you and the people around you. So if you are in a loud environment, or the people around here don't want to hear your music, get closed headphones or IEMs.

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 9
You can get the Little Dot I+ for under $150 shipped. I know from personal experience that it is a great amp, and those who have tried it with Grados say it has good synergy with them.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Closed also produces a different type of sound, they might sound boxed in as well, with poorer soundstages, but some closed models do sound pretty good, and most allows you to listen to them and blocking out other noises (some do it better than others).

generally an open headphone will sound better than a closed one at a certain price point. :p

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 9
So do you think that a Little Dot I+ & USB DAC (Laptop is the source) and keeping the SR-60's would be better than the SR-225's or SR-325i's unamped? Or rather a better purchase.

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Its not too bad of a source, its something that I honestly think i'd rather upgrade later. I mean with lower impedance headphones like the Grado's it seems like an amp / DAC would be a better upgrade down the road.

So what do you guys think SR-225 or is the extra worth it for the SR-325i?

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
I agree. Get nicer headphones now that sound good unamped, but will reach their full potential when amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back