Upgrading from ZuneHD --->?
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ignorant

100+ Head-Fier
I have been very happy with my ZuneHD since its release date, and when I lost it last week it has made me absolutely miserable the past few days. I have an older flash ZuneV2 and an ipod nano video but I cannot get the HD out of my mind. I loved how good videos looked on it, and supporting avi, mp4, and was it divx or xvid was just really convenient because it resized most of the files. I also liked that you could delete files from the Zune itself and not the software, and make playlists(could have been done better). Also the Zune sounded great through the HP out + IE8 w/ med HippoVB silicone tips. Actually I pretty much loved everything about the Zune, the build quality/durability(no protection, dropped it a  few times, and most of the scratches just buff out, which is just AWESOME), UI, speed/smoothness of the player, the brushed metal backside(sooo slick), slimness/form factor, supports japanese and chinese so the screen saver looked even nicer, and I could just go on... I didn't really use the browser, apps, or hd radio, but they were nice additions. The only thing I cared for was better SQ, and then volume control buttons. But I never realized how attached I was to it until I lost it and I need something new to fill in that crater it left. My main priorities are: SQ (from hp out)>battery life>build(form factor>volume rocker/playlist buttons>durability) Don't care for apps. I've been researching and so far I'm looking at:

Sony NWZ-X1050 (16GB):
This seems like my most probable choice but is it still the best sounding player in the market? The newer Sony A series looks nice but I heard it doesn't sound as nice as the X.  It's also quite expensive, as 16GB goes for $280 on amazon and the 32GB HD is $230 but price isn't an issue depending on the value.

S:flo2
Supports a lot of codecs, formats but battery life is WAY too short. Also too many bugs associated with it for now.

Cowon P3
Have not read much about it, liked what I heard about the s9 and this is the next in line. How does this sound compared to the s9/zune/or sony?

On one hand I want to get another Zune but on the other I really want a SQ upgrade.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Well I can comment on the s:flo2 real quick and say that there aren't any more bugs with the player. People should get the word out; the player's been bug free for about 4 months or so with version 2.00. They're up to 2.2 I think but mine shipped with 2.0 a while back and I haven't had any problems at all with mine. 

But yea the battery life might be a problem if you can't charge it every 8 hours :/

Amazing sound quality with a dedicated line out though.... if you want to go the portable amp route and just want the best SQ I think it's one of your best options. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 10
The s:flo2 whilst being powerful and sounding exceptional sucks the battery dry extremely quick, you can expect on average about 10 hours or a little less playing audio.  Also, there is no such thing as the Cowon P3, I think you meant the Cowon J3, but there is indeed a Samsung P3.  Regarding the Cowon J3, it is a "refresh" of the s9 with a new design and added memory expandability so therefore its sq is pretty much the same.  Finally, the Samsung P3 is a great player too that sounds superb due to the DNSe enhancement feature.  Either way, you'd be getting superb sq and great battery life with either of these players.  Regarding the SONY however, I would not really consider it due to its inflated price...  Many would disagree here, but that much $$$ is just too much for what the player offers especially considering these other great players.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Young Spade said:

Well I can comment on the s:flo2 real quick and say that there aren't any more bugs with the player. People should get the word out; the player's been bug free for about 4 months or so with version 2.00. They're up to 2.2 I think but mine shipped with 2.0 a while back and I haven't had any problems at all with mine. 

But yea the battery life might be a problem if you can't charge it every 8 hours :/

Amazing sound quality with a dedicated line out though.... if you want to go the portable amp route and just want the best SQ I think it's one of your best options. 

I do like what I'm hearing about the player but if I was going to get the s:flo2 I would probably end up buying another pmp just because of the battery life. It's nice to have around but I spend a lot of my time at the college(7+ hrs) before going home and I don't want to have to worry about battery life all the time. Quote:
The s:flo2 whilst being powerful and sounding exceptional sucks the battery dry extremely quick, you can expect on average about 10 hours or a little less playing audio.  Also, there is no such thing as the Cowon P3, I think you meant the Cowon J3, but there is indeed a Samsung P3.  Regarding the Cowon J3, it is a "refresh" of the s9 with a new design and added memory expandability so therefore its sq is pretty much the same.  Finally, the Samsung P3 is a great player too that sounds superb due to the DNSe enhancement feature.  Either way, you'd be getting superb sq and great battery life with either of these players.  Regarding the SONY however, I would not really consider it due to its inflated price...  Many would disagree here, but that much $$$ is just too much for what the player offers especially considering these other great players.

Haha I was looking at the J3 and P3, but I was to referring to the J3. The anythingbutipod review on the P3 states that the DNSe enhancement feature was not as good as the BBE so I might just go with the J3.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2009/04/samsung-p3-review.php

Thanks all!

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 10
I do like what I'm hearing about the player but if I was going to get the s:flo2 I would probably end up buying another pmp just because of the battery life. It's nice to have around but I spend a lot of my time at the college(7+ hrs) before going home and I don't want to have to worry about battery life all the time.

Yea I think that might happen to me next year when I go off :/
I THINK I might just go and buy another T51 if worse comes to worse :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 10
I've owned both the Sony X (1061) and the SF2, and both are excellent. But I sold them both after checking out the J3. To me, the expansion card, the BBE options, the size (lighter than the Sony it seems) and the format range are all winners. SQ is superb, IMO. I liked both the X and the SF2. But I agree, the Sony was overpriced (I got my 32GB model for $269, which was great but they charged sales tax at SonyStyle), and no card slot, and the SF2 is a tremendous value, but can't be used "blind" (in coat pocket) because of no external controls, touchscreen only.  Anyway, all three sound great, but I find the J3 to be the best option. I also have a Zune80, the original, a Clip and Fuze, and the J3 is my favorite. In fact, I am sending back the J3 16GB to buy the 32GB model from Amazon. With my 16GB flac card, 48GB player.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 10
So does the BBE options make the J3 sound as good as the sony? I'm pretty much sold on the J3, read the entire thread and have checked it at least 5 times a day (I have nothing to listen to). Holding out for a white 32GB model. Also, how long does the J3 last on a full charge? It states 64 hours of music but that was probably playing 128kb/s tracks. None of my files are under 192kb/s, and it's mostly ~320.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Well, that's oversimplifying it. I just find the J3 to give more options via the BBE setting, 4 custom setting options, and head to head, don't feel it loses a thing to the X when it comes to SQ. I am with you though, I keep checking Amazon. I have to send back the 16GB model in a week or so for the MBG, but Amazon will be getting more money when I order the 32GB. Let's just say I do not miss the X, and I love having the card slot. 48GB is going to be nice for a small, very portable machine that needs no amp.

As for time, I did not check my time per se. Not 64 hours, but not bad either. I have to keep track this time (on new charge, first one since I got it though, two weeks ago).

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Looks like an amazing player. I think I'm going to look for a review comparing it with the SQ of the T51/s:flo2 and see how it stands up. If the sound quality is somewhat close I actually might think of upgrading to it; I don't know for sure though since I just ordered an Archos 7 HT for non music stuff. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 10
It's pretty close to the SF2 in my view, in terms of SQ. Close enough to favor over the SF2 for other reasons, though it is quite a bit more money-wise. It's always a trade off. But in terms of UI, no comparison. And again, I need the external controls, which the SF2 just doesn't give you. And to think I spent a whole day doing the FW upgrade for the SF2 (to 2.2). No matter, I am happy with the J3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back