Upgrading from Valhalla 2 to another tube amp for the HD800
Dec 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JustinBieber

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to soon upgrade from my Valhalla 2, with a budget around $700-1000 used/new.  I'm thinking of a used WA6 SE. Supposedly, it's similar to the Valhalla 2 as they're both fairly neutral for a tube amp (which I prefer, I'm into more neutral/slightly bright gear).

I've also taken a look at Decware's amps and a CSP3 seems good too (looks great, enough power, fair price). I've never seen or heard one in person though. 

Just looking to see if anyone has compared the following or owned any with HD800.

Thanks. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 6

I'm looking to soon upgrade from my Valhalla 2, with a budget around $700-1000 used/new.  I'm thinking of a used WA6 SE. Supposedly, it's similar to the Valhalla 2 as they're both fairly neutral for a tube amp (which I prefer, I'm into more neutral/slightly bright gear).

Why the need to upgrade anyway? What's wrong with how the Valhalla2 drives the HD800? Also as far as Schiit's claims are concerned the Valhalla2 is very versatile, that means you can drive AKGs and Grados with it in case you end up buying one.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 6

Why the need to upgrade anyway? What's wrong with how the Valhalla2 drives the HD800? Also as far as Schiit's claims are concerned the Valhalla2 is very versatile, that means you can drive AKGs and Grados with it in case you end up buying one.

As of now, nothing huge is wrong with its sound. Though, I feel like there has to be something to set performance even higher. 

As for versatility, I just need a dedicated HD800 amp. My next step will be electrostatics. I've tried almost every modern flagship planar/dynamic types and I'm not really interested in them.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 6
  As of now, nothing huge is wrong with its sound. Though, I feel like there has to be something to set performance even higher. 

That's usually the first sign of SARS. No, not that SARS - I mean Severe Audio Replacement Syndrome. Also known by its other name: upgraditis.

As for versatility, I just need a dedicated HD800 amp. My next step will be electrostatics. I've tried almost every modern flagship planar/dynamic types and I'm not really interested in them.  

You might as well just keep the Valhalla and put more money towards the electrostat amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back