Upgrading from Ultrasone 780's - Whats the next step?
Jan 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nymets1

Head-Fier
I have had the hfi 780's for a couple years. I am ready to upgrade to some "better" cans. I have been off the boards here for about a year so I may be unaware of any new cans in this category.

What cans would be the next step or two up for my music experience?

Looking for:
- Closed
- Over-ear
- Works well with alternative rock, jam band type music (dave matthews band, phish, etc.)
- Does not need amplification, unless a cheap amp would greatly improve the sound and make it worth it

I appreciate your suggestions and help. Thanks

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 11
The closed aspect of your requirements throws a wrench in the works of the usual Grado recommendation for rock. Also, the lack of amping combined with no on-ears could put a dent in the selection, also. However, there's still a few that could work.

What's your price range? Do you want something bassy like the Ultrasones, or perhaps something different?

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 11
Pro 900's make the HFI-780 sound bloated in comparison. It's not just an "upgrade" but it sounds like a completely different headphone entirely. I've heard the Pro 900 before a few times and I just listened to the HFI 780 the other day to be able to make this comparison.

It's expensive, but the construction on Ultrasone cans are top notch.

If you want to try something else, the Denon D2000's would be a sonic upgrade. They wouldn't have as much quantity of bass, but it makes up for it with quality as well as offering a more balanced tone.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 11
What's your budget?  HFI-780s are pretty good, and you'd probably need to spend around double or more to see much of a difference.  The D5000 or D7000 would be an upgrade, but the D2000 more of a side-grade.  They're closed, but depending on how much isolation you need, they're a little weak in that area.  They're relatively efficient, and you could get by with a fairly cheap amp.  They're quite good for rock though.  Pro 900s are an upgrade in most areas over the HFI-780, but their strength is more in bassy and electronic music. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Check out the Sony MDR-Z1000.

They have become my "go-to" closed headphones.

I sold my Denon 2000's about a year ago and thus don't have them for
direct comparison, but I don't recall liking them as much as these Sony's -
which I wouldn't even consider selling.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 11
It looks like my best option is the D2000. Are these good for rock (my type of music)? Hopefully there are not recessed mids because I want to hear guitar up front and personal

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
It looks like my best option is the D2000. Are these good for rock (my type of music)? Hopefully there are not recessed mids because I want to hear guitar up front and personal

The D2000's are very good phones.

However, since rock is your type of music - and you 'want to hear guitar up front and personal' -
I strongly suggest you listen to the Grado 325is.

Much more speed, excitement, dynamics, and energy than the D2000 - not necessarily 'better',
but certainly different, and IMO more suited to up front rock guitar.  And they have other
strengths as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back