Upgrading from Ultimate Ears Triple fi 10 to JH audio JH|16
Dec 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PacoP

New Head-Fier
This is my first post but I've been reading alot on this forum since I am a musician so naturally I had to develop my ear to be very picky which is what led me here after being curious what professional musicians wear onstage in their ears. I first started out with a M-Audio IE-10 which is a clear rebrand of the UE super fi 3 for my birthday 2 years ago after reading many reviews on here about what will be a good IEM to start off with. I chose that one to see if I liked the UE sound. Then not even a month later for Thanksgiving there was a $99 sale of the Triple Fi on amazon but I didn't know until the next day. I found one on craigslist for $150 (still better than $400) and my appreciation for sound quality and music has grown more and more. Since then I have been eyeing the JH | 16 since they were released hoping one day to have enough money and listening skills to own and appreciate them. Well they had a %15 off Thanksgiving sale so I decided to buy them. JH audio received my impressions last Tuesday December 6 and my excitement has been growing ever since to the point that I am finally making my first thread and post here instead of the usual just reading. I guess what I wanted to know is what were some of yalls impressions from going to the triple fi to the JH16 just to mildly satisfy my excitement as to what to expect when i receive them which im not even sure when that will be since they said they have alot of orders because of the sale. Hopefully I will get mine before Christmas. Until then I just have this forums impressions to quench some of the excitement and try to wait patiently. I'm mainly going to be using them out of my Android LG Thrill 4G with Neutron MP but if an amp that isn't too expensive makes it that much better than I will consider buying it but just for home use. Thanks

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 7
If you are only going to use an amp at home I would suggest a dac to hook up to your computer like the fiio e10.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 7
I went from the Shure SE530 to the JH16. I'm not sure if burn-in is a real thing (I suspect it's more personal adjustment) but I do judge an IEM based on how little time it takes for me to acclimate to its sound. It took me several months to warm up to the Shures but it only took me about two weeks to fall for the JH16s. It's fun to walk around, not paying attention, and suddenly notice something new that you hadn't before. Critics will say "it's always been there" but I say "I never heard it there before the JH16." There is something about it that makes details a bit more noticeable and music more enjoyable. 

Ever since then I've been totally incurious about any other IEM out there. Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll be very happy!

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks! The only bad thing is I just received an email today from JH audio saying mine will probably ship the first week of January so more waiting :frowning2: Have you tried the Poweramp and Neutron app from Android phones. I really don't want to add more bulk so I wondering which of these two apps have the better sound quality. Unfortuneatly my trial for Neutron already ran out after two days so I cant do a side by side comparison of the two. Also which amp would you recommend for home use for an IEM since it is fairly easy to drive

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 7
The e10 has a better quality dac than the e7 has. If you can wait till Jan the e17 should be released and would be better than either the e10 or e7. You really dont need the e9 if you are using the jh16.  The e9 is way too powerful for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back