Upgrading from SR225's to either UE10 Pro's or RS-1's
Dec 2, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #16 of 27
For a dedicated home rig, I will pick the RS-1 over the UE10, Sensaphonics, <insert your favorite custome IEM here> any day.

However, the OP is going to be using a portable source in a college dorm. In that case, the UE10 is the more "sensible" phone. The UE10 will be easier to drive, looks less dorky outside, and keeps out ambient noise in the dorm. I would check out the ES3 and generic IEMs too.

---Pat

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
For a dedicated home rig, I will pick the RS-1 over the UE10, Sensaphonics, <insert your favorite custome IEM here> any day.

However, the OP is going to be using a portable source in a college dorm. In that case, the UE10 is the more "sensible" phone. The UE10 will be easier to drive, looks less dorky outside, and keeps out ambient noise in the dorm. I would check out the ES3 and generic IEMs too.

---Pat

But if he's already using the SR-225 and doesn't have a problem with noise, than the RS-1 would be no different. If he's looking for music on the go and isolation, maybe ES3 would be the way to go.

Is this only for the room and to be used as a transportable or do you truely need a great portable headphone?

Dec 2, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 27
As an owner of UE-10's and RS-1's I can tell you that the sound is VERY different. They both sound amazing. One is very fun (Good ol' Grado fun) and the other is very interesting (due to detail and awesome isolation). Hence, I think it would mainly depend on where you plan to do most of your listening. For portability and comfort - no question the UE-10's would be my choice. For sheer fun and musical enjoyment, I would go with the RS-1's. However, I NEVER take my RS-1's out of the house into open weather. When ever they do go out (head.fi meets) they go in very careful packaging.

Here is how I would sum it up:

UE-10's - PRO's
--------------
+ light
+ comfort
+ very detailed
+ fantastic portability
+ extremely fantastic customer service
+ can be very beautiful
+ you can get custom "tattoo art" on them
+ you can get your own custom color
+ sound great with EVERYTHING
+ Complete Isolation

UE-10 - CONS
---------------
+ Not "fun"
+ Can't share them (a good thing in some people's books)
+ Small soundstage (opens up with some amps like the Hornet)
+ very revealing - makes bad recordings sound even worse

RS-1 - PROS
---------------
+ great bass impact
+ works of art
+ woody
+ sheer fun
+ amazing with everything save some classical music
+ cool retro look
+ light on the head
+ great customer service

RS-1 - CONS
--------------
+ low portability factor
+ fragile (don't want to chip that woody)
+ Grado Grattle
+ little isolation

Hope that helps.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #20 of 27
Some time has passed since I last logged in, but now I'm back again and still thinking about upgrading
orphsmile.gif

I want to say a big Thank You to you guys. Your advice have really helped me in this decision I've made/I'm making/I'm about to make (not sure yet!).

So, right now I'm thinking Grado all the way. UE's and other custom IEMs are kinda off the list, because they can't be sold later. That was a good point, doobooloo!

Now the next thing I'll have to do, is look for a good deal on those RS-1's. There's no way I'm spending over a thousand euros on them.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRADO-LABS-RS-...QQcmdZViewItem
That don't look too bad, now does it? I'm not an experienced shopper, when it comes to eBay, so I don't really know the warning signs if there's something fishy about some item being sold. Does that look ok to you, what do you think? The seller's in France, so no customs or extra taxes added to the price,
orphsmile.gif
that's what I'm considering right now.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #21 of 27
Just bumping my post back up...

If you have an opinion about the "high end casque" eBay shop, please share. Looks like an ok place/doesn't.
confused.gif

Oh how I would love to get me a pair of brand new woodies
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 27
I ordered a pair from the same ebay seller yesterday.

I too, was a little worried, but figured the price (£430 Buy It Now (~$750) for the UK Ebay listing) is not that cheap when you compare it to the US retail price of the RS1. That stopped me thinking that the deal was 'too good to be true', more like Europeans get ripped off.

So I decided to chance it. I paid through Paypal so there is some protection there too, though I'm not sure how good they are when it comes to sorting out problems since I've never had the need to contact them...touch wood. They also say there is a 15 day money back return option and a 1 year guarantee.

About an hour after I made the payment I got an e-mail from them saying they'd received the money and would be posting the headphones the following day (today). They said 4 - 6 days for delivery. I'll let you know more when they arrive.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 27
wtg Sanddancer! I'll be holding my thumbs up for you..
rs1smile.gif

And I totally agree that Europeans are getting ripped off, what's that about anyway? The price for RS-1's is so ridiculous over here.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
lol. what the heck.

raisin is stating there is NO RESALE VALUE. They are custom IEMs and as such will be almost impossible to sell them while with the RS-1, you can at least get some of your money back through the Forums, eBay, etc.

I totally agree. I had the RS-1 for a long time and they are a great pair of headphones. However, based on his application I think I would wait another 2 months and look at the new Shure E500's (IEMs are way more universal than Grados). There has been a lot of talk about them of late and if they are as good as all the hype claims, they are definitely the ticket (half the price of the 10's and just as good with the PTH technology).

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 27
My RS-1s turned up today
biggrin.gif

I'd be happy enough to order from that ebay seller again. They came in 5 working days and were packaged very well (grado box wrapped in bubblewrap and then put inside a larger box). Serial #2677 I think. I was anxious after the 'Friday afternoon RS1 thread', but they're great. A small amount of that pitting effect in the wood, but it's tiny and not a problem.

Off now to listen to them some more
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #26 of 27
you started off on a good note with the sr225, they are one of the few fones that i think are worth a damn. if you're wondering if the step up to rs-1 is worth it, i certainly thought so. it really depends on how much of an improvement that you notice, some hardly notice at all and stick with the sr225. try to find them at a nearby audio store to demo? i also have a set of beyers (dt-931), but i really dislike the 770. 931 on the other hand are one of the cleanest sounding fones that i've heard.

i haven't heard the ue10, i think custom molds is a little over the top but whatever, people do their thing.

i used to own rs-1 & etymotic er-4s and i can definately say that they were great compliments to each other. anytime i wanted to enjoy music @ home i used rs-1 and they are easily my favorite fones out of all the other ones i've tried. there's nothing that sounds better for guitars btw. these were made for rock and electronic stuff. the dynamic drive that these have make you follow with the music. when you want less color say for complex music and movies, the ety 4s handled that really well. i only used them portably straight out of a rio karma however.

rs-1 can sound good out of anything, but an amp certainly tightens up the sound a bit. i highly recommend trying to obtain a diy portable amp called cha47. it fits inside an altoids mint tin case, really tiny. it's the only portable one that i liked with rs-1. i'm actually getting a new one built at the moment and i can tell you who to get it from if you're interested.

people get into a frenzy about which pads to use with grados, it's really not that big of a deal. i would only use flat pads for the old style grados such as sr-200 and hp-1, or if the bowl pads are uncomfortable to you (which was the case for me). so sr225 and rs-1, i recommend sticking with the stock pads because they sound better to me. if you revert back to the flat pads, the bass gets bloated and muddied up and treble tones down also. the difference isn't as drastic as people make it out to be.

you're probably wondering why i don't own those two fones any longer. the reason is because ever since i found a set of speakers that i was happy with, i hardly ever use headphones at home (rs-1). the ety on the other hand were great, but i had serious comfort issues with them, i felt violated each time i put them on. i am now using earbuds made by audio technica, the ath-cm7ti. i am using them with 4th generation ipod photo (color screen) instead of the rio karma because it sounds 'funner'. these have a completely different sound signature from the etys, but i am really liking them so far... i did however keep the beyer dt931 for home use. they're not only comfortable but sound good for all purposes, definately a keeper.

1200euro ouch, yeah um i never buy any audio gear new unless it's under $200. i got my rs-1 on audiogon.com for $400, i'm sure more will turn up, just stay alert until they show.

if later on you want to improve on your setup at home, rs-1 sounds really good with rega planet 2000 cd player. i know you can find those cheap, especially since that model is being phased out now.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
UE10 Pro is technically better than even the RS-1. However, becauses it goes into your ear, you will have stuffy feeling kinda like when you are under the water.

You don't usually get that with foamies, more often with rubber buds or bi/tri-flange tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back