upgrading from sr225
May 20, 2006 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fishski13

Member of the Trade: SolderWorksAudio
ladies and gentlemen,
i am looking to upgrade from my Grado sr225 for around $500. my kit is in the signature. since i live in a hi-fi wasteland, your sage advice is needed. i'm looking for:

1. more detail, specifically some extra sparkle and tonal color - refreshing like a good mojito or gin and tonic. current kit tastes like really good cooffe - not bad, just different.

2. bass is o.k. with the sr225, excellent in quality with good transient attack and natural decay - i wouldn't mind just a tiny bit more in detail and quantity.

3. something less agressive and in your face. overall, the music times very well and is anything but dynamically challenged, but sometimes the music can be a bit relentless after an hour or so - like too much caffeine. new cans still need to be able to time and carry a tune without shoving it down your throat all the time.

4. different headstage presentation and musical perspective than the Grado.

current contenders are as follows:

1. Beyer DT 880 (2006) - too dry and bright, lacking color compared to sr225?
2. Senn 650 w/silver dragon - zero sparkle and mushy, work well w/naim?
3. Audio Technica W1000 - left field choice, love or hate?
4. AKG 701 - big fat pigs to drive?
5. others?

i realize that most here haven't heard the naim headline2, so i've PM's our resident expert to give a gander at this thread - but all constructive thoughts on the sr225 vs. others would be appreciated. btw, i have no intention on selling my beloved sr225, i'm just looking for something a bit better and different presentation.

THANKS!!! head-fi rulz!!!

PACE

May 20, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Willing to go used? I find my 225s to be fast but with a slight nasal coloration, slightly emphasized mid-bass and don't extend quite to the extremes, but work very well with CD5i. Stax Lambda or similar will definitely give the detail with a little more high end and deeper if not more impactful bass. The HD600 might be worth a try but may be slightly dry for your tastes. Haven't heard 701s but from all that is posted they might be worth a listen.

The electrostats are just in another league for speed and detail, if the tonal presentation is to your liking.

May 20, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks Tom. i like speed and detail. putting sounds into words is difficult. how about a picture? pure, colorful, and calming - something to put me into a contemplative mood where i am one with the world
smily_headphones1.gif
?

welcome.jpg

PACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back