Upgrading from SR225 to RS-1?
Sep 27, 2003 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
I am seaching for a good headphone for rock. I didn't like the HD600 because it lacks tight, deep bass and is to laid back. When I saw the HD650 is coming, I sold the HD600 and the Clou cable that had positive effects but also worsened the separation between bass and the upper regions, somewhat playing in parallell rather than integrated. I might buy a HD650 but don't expect it to be the best for rock.
I purchased a Grado SR225 for a test as I feel insecure about Grado. I like it in many ways, rytm and pace are very good and it feels much more direct than the HD600. I use it with a brand new Corda Prehead driven with a good CDP that is detailed, dynamic and with a slightly warm character. I have no problems with the treble of the Grado and it works well with older, not so well recorded CDs. The Grado seems good for the price but I want improvement in some areas and have electronics that is good enough for the best headphones. Classical music now sound very good with my Audio Technica W11R but it is slow on reverberation and not suitable for most rock.
My questions are if an upgrade to RS-1 will solve these problems:

- I want more and tighter bass than SR225 has
- I want better detail and resolution
- The soundstage is rather narrow, it is not necessary with a soundstage where you can locate instruments exactly (rather unrealistic) but it should be wider and deeper
- I mainly like the coloration of the SR225 but it is a little to strong

Other suggestions are also welcome!

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 10
How much would Grado RS-1's cost you in Sweden? They must be horribly expensive?

I'm just wondering since if they are real expensive you could try to find a pair of HP1's or HP-2's instead and have them shipped as a private sale?

Check the headphone reviews. Zanth has a very good one about the RS-1's and the HP-1's.

I sold my Senn HD600's after getting a pair of the RS-1's. I felt the RS-1's were that much better and exciting.

Mitch

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 10
You are right that they are expensive in Sweden but I will import them from USA. You mention the HP-1, they are hard to find and I have now idea of the cost. How much do they cost relative to RS-1?

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi Anders,

I have the RS-1s as well as the 40s. 60s. 80s, and 325s. I've heard the 225s and really liked them for rock. I haven't heard a better headphone for rock than the RS-1s. The bass is deep, powerful and tight; the highs are extended and transparent. The soundstage is wide and deep. I've found that the better the system you use them on the better the RS-1s sound. They are not forgiving of bad cd recordings but with a great recording might just "knock your socks off". They show up from time to time on eBay. Good luck.

AM
600smile.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 10
RS-1 will give you more but not tighter bass. You will get more detail but a more foward upper midrange as well. The RS-1 does give you more space but not nearly as much as headphones like the sony cd3000's. I have owned all the grados except the sr-325 and I think the best headphone I have heard is the sony. I also think the sr-225 is 90% as good as the RS-1, in my opinion. Do a search on the cd3000's, they match the description of what you want better than the RS-1.
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 10
"Todd the Vinyl Junkie" a Head-Fi Sponsor is going to get the old style Grado Flat Pads and they'll help out considerably with the Grado Sound. The Flat Pads are an incredible upgrade to the current line of Grado Headphones. For the time being maybe try a pair of Flat pads? He has a pre-order going on at $25 a pair.

The big difference to me was the Grados put me on stage with the band where all the excitement was. It's hard sitting back in the 4th row watching the performance after being onstage.

Good Luck

Mitch

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the advice! The HP-1 seems a little too expensive for me just now, the RS-1 is expensive enough.
I forgot to write about the forwardness. I think the SR225 is a little to forward but hoped the RS-1 should be somewhat more refined without loosing punch. If the RS-1 is more forward in the midrange and there only is more but not tighter bass, as sacd lover says, I am afraid that RS-1 is not what I had hoped for. I will check up CD3000.

This is a very preliminary conclusion and more points of views are welcome!

Sep 27, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 10
You really should try the CD3000. Your description of what you want matches it very well. I've only heard the 3000 for a few minutes but it is the next headphone I plan to purchase.

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 10
The headphone that you have described as the one you want sounds like the sony CD-3000 to me. Better bass, detail, and soundstage than the RS-1. Also more comfy, and less money.
The HP-1000's are also very nice but IMO the bass is not as good as the sony's, but the detail is a little better. Lot's of money though.

Sep 27, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 10
The funny thing is the HP-1 cost $600 new and the HP-2 cost $500 when they were introduced sometime in the 1990s. My dad picked up an HP-1 and an HP-2 in 1994. Since then he sold the HP-1 (for a lot more than he bought it for) and gave the HP-2 to me. I had Joe Grado replace the drivers and upgrade the cable to his Signature Ultra High Bandwidth cable. He threw in a pair of NOS flat pads too, but those have been falling apart. Now that Todd is offering the flat pads for $25 each, I had to pick up a ton! I still prefer the 225 to the RS-1, but the HP-2 kicks all their asses connected to my EAR HP4. I hear the Singlepower amps are even better with the HP1000s, so I will have to give it a try.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back