Upgrading from SR-80's..to possibly AT-AD900's, need advice
Dec 21, 2009 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AudioICE

New Head-Fier
I've had my SR-80's for a few years now and I'm very pleased with the sound. I find it mind boggling that there are phones out there that sound better than this. What more CAN you hear?

I've got a nice set up at home and I'm looking for some good cans to just relax with on my home amp or desktop (through an ibasso d2 boa). I don't care about looks or portability as these will be strictly for home use.

I've done a lot of research online and it has led me to look at the Audio Technica AD900's.

A few questions. Since these are open air as well, will they provide a similar sound? Or do they have Audio Technica's signature sound. (as opposed to the SR signature series in Grado). Keep in mind I like detail, accuracy etc.

I've also thought about moving up the SR line..but I don't want a completely similar sound. Definatley want some versatility in my headphone lineup.

Also how much of a true upgrade will the AD900's be from the SR-80's? Any other recommondations in the $250-300 range?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 6
HUGE soundstage, very detailed highs, forward mids (but not quite as forward as the Grado's, think 1st row for Grado and 5th row for AD900), bass will be similar to the Grado, better instrument seperation, EXTREMELY comfortable. If you love your Grado you will likely be OK with the AD900, for me the highs were to extreme and ear fatigue became an issue. If a big soundstage is not something you want then you would be better off looking at another Grado or Allesandro based headphone.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know about the 900's, but I just got the AD700's a few days ago and they are TREMENDOUS! They are a bit lacking in bass, but otherwise I see no problems with them. I've heard that the 700's actually have better soundstage than the 900's, but the 900's have more detail, but I couldn't say by experience. Given the large price difference (900's are around $250, 700's are only about $100), it seems like the 700's would be a better choice. However, I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just giving my two cents.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 6
AT's aren't all that dissimilar from Grados. I've heard the AD900's are an ugprade to the AD700's, which I do have. They have different sounds... you should expect more of a lateral move than a forward move but the old SR-80's are a little bright and I think you'll enjoy the more spacious and even sound the AT 'phones have, although you'll likely miss the Grado punch. What am I saying? Keep both!

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks guys. I do plan on keeping my SR-80's for sure. I just want to add another HQ headphone to my collection.

The sound stage and clarity on the AD900's will be drastic enough to warrant buying it eh?

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh yeah. The AT's really have some seriously good soundstage going on. They don't call them the "Air" series for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back