Upgrading from Sony MDR-XB950n1. General Input / Recommendations Sought.
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thisusernamesucks

New Head-Fier
So, I've been using the Sony MDR-XB950n1 headphones for a couple of years now and am looking to either upgrade or buy another pair. I wear these headphones for 8 hours at a time in a noisy manufacturing environment where I am assaulted by the constant drone of fans and regular intervals of higher-frequency vacuum-feeders and servo-motors. So, noise-cancellation efficiency and comfort are my primary concerns. I have never messed with CODECS and DACs and therefore couldn't begin to assess the relative merits of one pair over another based on such feature support, nor do I figure such data is really relevant to my needs.

The only pair of headphones I've tried in my search for a replacement are the WH-XB900n. While I found them to be sufficiently comfortable, I was disappointed by the noise cancellation while I was on calls: I could hear my own voice as well as background noise through the speakers, even though I had ANC on max. No settings I manipulated through Sony's headphone app remedied this, and I could find no explanation online for why the background noise and my voice should be audible to me through the speakers only while on calls. I figured that the XB900n would be superior to the XB950n1, but in my experience they weren't; so now I am apprehensive to select a different model since I can't be guaranteed that the newer is necessarily better, and since I have no idea what technical issue I was experiencing responsible for the phenomenon of atmospheric noise being emitted from the cans into my ears while on calls. If any of you know what causes this specific issue, please elucidate me.

My MDR-XB950n1 is superb: I can wear them for most of my shift without much discomfort, and I experience the same noise-cancellation whether I'm on calls or just listening to music. Furthermore, I rather appreciate the tactile controls. While I'm not opposed to swipe-style touchscreen-like controls, I find them gimmicky and wonder at whether their functionality would degrade over time.

Headphones I'm considering:
Bose NC700
Sony WH-1000XM2, XM3, and XM4
Sony WH-H910n
Shure Aonic 50
ATH-ANC900BT
Jabra Elite 85H
Sennheiser PXC 550-II
Razer Opus
Philips PH805

If any of you have experience with any of these, I would appreciate any feedback you might provide regarding their ability to block atmospheric noise and your voice while you're on calls just as efficiently as while you're listening to music. If you have experience with any of these as well as the XB-950n1 and could compare your impressions of the two as regards noise cancellation in obnoxiously noisy environments and extended wear comfort, I would be grateful. Furthermore, if you have an altogether different pair of headphones you think I ought to consider, feel free to give recommendations.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 2
I have both XB-950n1 and XM3, and I think WH-1000XM3 is substantially better in noise canceling capabilities and sound quality. XM3 has substantially less boomy bass and has clearer midrange/high over XB-950n1. I think the comfort level of XM3 was marginally better than XB-950n1 and both offer similar sound blockage as a passive noise canceling without active noise canceling engaged. I travel mostly with XM3 since it is light and comfy yet you have substantially better sound quality. XM4 is slightly more airier and has a bit more details/depth over XM3. If I were to buy one now, I would easily choose XM4 over XM3 & XB-950n1. YMMV and I am not a bass-head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back