Upgrading from Sony MDR-V6
Nov 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gans1988

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi. I need an unamped headphone primarily used for movies and music with the computer as the source. I would prefer open headphones but if the sound quality on the closed headphones is better then I wouldn't mind switching. Right now I'm looking at sennheiser HD595 but was wondering if there would be any better choices.

Also would the change from sony mdr v6 to sennheiser HD595 be noticeable enough to warrant the purchase. Thanks.

Also my limit is around $200 and I will most likely buy used from someone on headfi or ebay.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 6
unfortunately an integrated sound card. My mobo is Asus p5q LGA 775 P45. I listen primarily to hiphop, R&B, some alternative, some jazz like michael buble. And the 200 budget is just for the headphones nothing else. Right now I just want the headphones, I can upgrade sound card later if I must. But I do not intend to buy an amp any time soon as I have a feeling it'll cause me to spend alot more on the headphones than I should. lol. But ye I have a westone um3x on the way as well so my expenditure is reaching its limit.

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 6
The newbie way of going about this to blow your whole budget on headphones. And that's fine IF you plan on spending more at a later date to upgrade your associated equipment. However until then, doing so can be like buying a sports car but only driving it in 1st or 2nd gear. And that may be fine for some. For example, some may thoroughly enjoy their HD650 from an ipod, but that's hardly anything I'd want to try.

A used D2000 is another example, which you may want to consider if only buying headphones. You may or may not be satisfied with it from your mobo. I would sooner spend my budget on additional amplification with less expensive closed headphones and possibly a better source. Headphones with a sound card, or DAC/amp, or just an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gans1988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unfortunately an integrated sound card. My mobo is Asus p5q LGA 775 P45. I listen primarily to hiphop, R&B, some alternative, some jazz like michael buble. And the 200 budget is just for the headphones nothing else. Right now I just want the headphones, I can upgrade sound card later if I must. But I do not intend to buy an amp any time soon as I have a feeling it'll cause me to spend alot more on the headphones than I should. lol. But ye I have a westone um3x on the way as well so my expenditure is reaching its limit.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gans1988 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also would the change from sony mdr v6 to sennheiser HD595 be noticeable enough to warrant the purchase. Thanks.

Not in my opinion. It's very minor upgrade.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 6
thanks for the advice 1time. But primary reason on not buying amp is that if I do I'll end up splurging and buying a better headphone and then decide I need a better amp and decide maybe a new cable will better the sound quality and then the viscious cycle will continue until I'm broke. So I decided just to buy a headphone that can run fairly well unamped. And robby in what way is it just a minor upgrade? Is it in terms of comfort, sound stage, mids, highs?? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back