Upgrading from Sony Ex71 - Westone UM2
Oct 26, 2005 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Blueorb

New Head-Fier
I finally took the plunge and ordered me a set of UM2's. They were on back order, but have been shipped today!!

Now will I notice a little improvement from my old EX71's, or will the difference blow me away?

They will be paired with an I-audio M3.

Any opinions welcome.

I wish they would hurry and get here soon!

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueorb
I finally took the plunge and ordered me a set of UM2's. They were on back order, but have been shipped today!!

Now will I notice a little improvement from my old EX71's, or will the difference blow me away?

They will be paired with an I-audio M3.

Any opinions welcome.

I wish they would hurry and get here soon!

Won't be close. You'll love the UM2's.

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 21
I made same jump! First of all use the Sony buds on the UM2 - use the stalk you chop of the tripleflang to mount them on the UM2 - I find with sony buds I get same quality jump as going from EX71s -> UM2 (foamies) -> UM2 (sony buds)

YOu will have more bass (real deep and no bloat), better mids and no screachy highs.

Enjoy
eggosmile.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueorb

You will be BLOWN AWAY. The UM2 is a significant jump in SQ from the EX71's. If this is your first pair of true "canal phones" there may be a learning curve for inserting and getting used to them, but the difference is amazing.

Enjoy!

Oct 26, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZimbuTheMonkey
How long did you have to wait for the back order?

I placed my order on 10/19 and received the UM2's today. It most likely would've been yesterday, but hurricane Wilma hit Florida (where EarPhoneSolutions is located) and shut down FedEx for a day.

Flavio told me the backorder was because Westone was out of cables. As soon as they got them, they finished a batch of UM2's and shipped them to Flavio. Once he got them, he started filling the backorders.

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZimbuTheMonkey
How long did you have to wait for the back order?

I ordered mine last Thursday, and they shipped them yesterday.........so thats 6 days. Had to wait for cables.

Apparently its the same story everywhere, as Westone are struggling to keep up with demand. Hope the build quality hasn't slipped!!!

Thanks for your responses guys, I really can't wait to try the IEM's.

I just hope my 320kbps files can do the phones justice!

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
I made same jump! First of all use the Sony buds on the UM2 - use the stalk you chop of the tripleflang to mount them on the UM2 - I find with sony buds I get same quality jump as going from EX71s -> UM2 (foamies) -> UM2 (sony buds)

YOu will have more bass (real deep and no bloat), better mids and no screachy highs.

Enjoy
eggosmile.gif

Excellent sound
biggrin.gif
, why did I not think of that before.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 21
Its my opinion but I think EX71s are complete garbage.

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 21
I quite like the 71's!

They were the first IEM that didnt keep falling out of my ears. Stock buds just don't stay in!

I think the sound is reasonable, just lacking midrange, but for the price what else comes close?

Just hope them UM2's are worth all the money I spent on them!

Oct 28, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 21
The UM2s will show you just how bad the 71s are. Even taking into account they're $30, they're not worth that.

I personally wouldn't buy any Sony headphones. Sony aren't solely manufacturers of audio equipment like Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamics...

Oct 29, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
The UM2s will show you just how bad the 71s are. Even taking into account they're $30, they're not worth that.

I personally wouldn't buy any Sony headphones. Sony aren't solely manufacturers of audio equipment like Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamics...

Sony buds aint bad - they EX71 is their worse...

My MDR 931s sound great even next to my UM2's
eek.gif
and they are half the price of a pair of EX71s - with a bit of EQing I can get same bass responce as Um2's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back