Upgrading from Singlepower MPX Slam
Jan 15, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vicks7

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'd be very interested to hear from any members who have upgraded from the above amp, partiularly to a different manufacturer. I remain very pleased with the MPX3 but want more realism, detail and soundstage and more of a "SET" experience in terms of the mid-range as I am used to with my speaker system.

Thanks in advance

James

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 6
James, you can make an MPX3 sound just like anything you want. To do so you need to try various versions of the 6SN7 as well as other kind of tubes w/ the various adapters available. What tubes do you normally use?

BTW, I am considering going to an upper end Rudistor. This after trying his Sistema NX-02.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 6
I'll reiterate mrarroyo's comments. After roughly one year of rolling a few different 6sn7's in my mpx3 I bought a 6f8g adapter a few weeks ago (and a few tubes) and I've been amazed by the difference. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'realism,' (clarity/detail?) but the 6f8g's have definitely added detail, expanded soundstage and given the music more life.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 6
If I had that kinda of money to upgrade from your SP and get away from Mikhail, well, considering all the rave reviews for Eddie Current and Craig Uthus, go for the Zana Deux, then post some pics, hehe.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 6
I am using VT 231 as a driver and either 5687s or 6bl7gts in outputs. I am looking for more detail, "airiness", and yes, clarity - just a better sound - something more akin to the sound I get with my SET loudspeaker system.
Thanks for all the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back