Upgrading from Sennheiser IE80 - Westone W50 or UM50
Dec 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

biadno

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

Lurked on here off and on for a couple years but want to try and get a little more specific comparison before my next IEM purchase -

Currently have the IE80 and well, I pretty much love them. Been great for the last year and half but I want to step up to something a little nicer. I am certainly a bit of a bass head but don't like to much bleed over or loosing out on my treble.

From my understanding the UM50 has a smaller sound stage but more clear mid and highs but does loose a little sub bass (Happy to hear some more input). Is the sound stage of both of these already much larger than the IE80s? Is the Bass on the UM50 better to or equal to the IE80?

Over all I felt like I should lean towards the W50 due to the more pronounced bass and larger sound stage but if the UM50 is better in both those aspects the UM50 might sound more refined?

Happy to clarify anything, still getting used to the technical audiophile lingo. 

Much appreciated.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Pretty interesting at first look. I'll do some digging on them to see what I can find out. Do you happen to own a pair or them or the IE80s?

W50 does seem to be similar to the IE80s which is what has me leaning towards them. Wondering if the low sub bass will be there to the at least the same extent as the IE80s. 

Part of me also feels like I should wait until I find a pair of SE846 for a good price and just spend the extra coin...

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 16
  Pretty interesting at first look. I'll do some digging on them to see what I can find out. Do you happen to own a pair or them or the IE80s?

If that's referring to me/the trinity hunter, then no. They're still in pre-order stages and will likely not ship for another two months or so. If you are considering these, Bob has been nice enough to supply head-fi'ers with a 20% discount code (I think HEADFIMEMBERS01 & your username in 'additional comments' box or something).

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 16
I figured out the pre-order status pretty quickly but they do have me interested. 20% Would make it more appealing as well.

Are there any other IEM's that have a combination of BA and Dynamic Drivers that you would recommend?

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Hmm... Sony's XBA lineup maybe? Not sure if they can provide an upgrade over what you currently own though. A3 and Z5 are pretty well regarded, and I think they just released some new stuff. I'm not really at home at this price point I'm afraid...
Just out of curiosity though, have you considered customs?

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Hmm... Sony's XBA lineup maybe? Not sure if they can provide an upgrade over what you currently own though. A3 and Z5 are pretty well regarded, and I think they just released some new stuff. I'm not really at home at this price point I'm afraid...
Just out of curiosity though, have you considered customs?

Looked at the Sony Z5/1000 but am pretty concerned about how comfortable they will be. Seems like getting a seal is problematic. The driver configuration does seem quite appealing

I am considering customs. Thought I'd try to find a set of IEMs that I like and then I could always get them resleeved later. Although I suppose I could loose some of the sound I like in a new shell which is a whole other set of issues.

Should I assume the W50 would be a step up in all area other than sound stage?

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 16
Any other recommendations in the ~$600 range are also welcome

I also wanted to upgrade from IE80 and most of recommendations were for the Sony XBA-H3/A3 and the Earsonics Velvet, as having  similar sound signatures.‎

I've tried the XBA-H3 but I was not impressed too much. While there was more clarity in the midrange and highs, the midbass hump was somehow similar to the IE80 and that is something  I don't like.
I've heard a lot of good things about the A3 which seems to be even better than H3, but I didn't try them, nor the Velvet, which seems to be some kind of end game for the warm and smooth sound, from what I've read.

Other recommended IEM was the IE800, but despite a lot of details and clarity, I was really disappointed by the overall sound for that price.

Z5 was also suggested, but it seems to have a lot more bass than IE80 and for me will be too much,  but  if you're a basshead, you may like it.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 16
The Sony XBA-A3/Z5 both seem like they would have what I am looking for. I have a current pair of cheap Sony earphones and I absolutely despise the way the fit in my ear and trying to get them in so I am a little put off by those models due to the fit.

Earsonic Velvet are on the list. I am a bit of a bass head and really like the impact of my IE80 so I am concerned about about a strictly BA driver set up which is what has me leaning towards the FXA7.

I am a little concerned about the Isolation of the FXA7 due to the bass port but I was never bothered by my IE80 lack of isolation so I am not too concerned.

Decisions decisions.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Can anyone give any thoughts on Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV and possibly a comparison to the Harmony/FXA7. 

4 BA Drivers + 1 DD Driver and they are on-sale for $650 right now

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 16
  Can anyone give any thoughts on Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV and possibly a comparison to the Harmony/FXA7. 

4 BA Drivers + 1 DD Driver and they are on-sale for $650 right now

There's a pretty big and active Rhapsodio thread here on head-fi. You might want to try posting your question there. I've heard some good things about the brand and about their solar model, but it's all hear-say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back