Upgrading from Sennheiser HD555, looking for more bass (>$200)
Mar 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hanoran

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I've been pretty happy with my Sennheiser HD555s, but I feel like I'm missing the bass in a lot of my bass-heavy electronic music. I'm looking to upgrade to some new cans that will offer hopefully similar performance in the highs and mids, with more and better bass. I don't have an amp, but I'd be willing to get one if needed. Under $200 would be great. I listen to all kinds of music, I don't want something that's only good for bass, either. I listen at medium to loud volumes. I don't really care about isolation, but I'd prefer something with equal or better isolation relative to my 555s (I'm guessing most bass heavy phones are also decently isolated anyways).

Here are some models I'm considering:
  1. Audio Technica M50 - Would these be a good upgrade from my 555s? Enough bass?
  2. Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2 - Too much bass?
  3. Ultrasone HFI-780

I would love to hear your suggestions on other models to look at and would appreciate any advice. I'll also answer any questions that might help narrow this down for me.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 5

I found the PRO700MK2s really enjoyable but they clamped really hard and i couldn't listen for more than 1/2hour periods. The ATH M50s seem pretty well regarded here.

That might be a problem for me, as I tend to listen for longer periods. I wonder if the ATH M50s are more comfortable.

Have you considered Beyerdynamic? I always thought their bass dynamics were better than Sennheiser. I've had DT880 and HD600 in my posession to compare.

Just started looking into those now. The DT 770 is looking like a really nice option.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 5
If your ears are farly small, the M50s should be comfortable. If they're like mine whoever, you'd have to change to Shure pads to be able to wear them for more than 1 hour. I have both, HD555 and the M50, and my go-to headphone is the HD555 because the sound is smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back