Upgrading from Sennheiser HD 360 Pro to Sennheiser HD 518
Feb 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tamahome5555

New Head-Fier
What differences can I expect between the two?
I know that 360 Pro is closed design (Meaning no one can hear my music or whatsoever). While HD 518 is Open. (Meaning everyone may be able to hear my music)
Would I get more bass?, better Mids and Highs? and better soundstage?
What else is the advantages of having open ear design?
How much big of a difference can it get?
Because in Canada, they're offering Sennheiser HD 518 for $79 dollars so I wanted to upgrade
I haven't tried listening to HD 518 hence there's no test model.

Regards, Nheo.

Edit; Also the type of music I mostly listen to is more like piano music.
I'm an apprentice musician for piano.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 7
You get a better soundstage usually with open headphones, better highs, the mids could go either way though.  I've never heard of the 518s and never heard them being mentioned on this forum so I would suggest avoiding them and save up for the 555s or better yet the HD598s.  Or if you can stand IEMs, get the HiFiMan RE-400's from here:  http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=143

You can also find them on www.headphone.com and I think on Amazon.com too.  The RE-400's will sound better than the HD518 that much I would put money on and I would hate for you to spend even $79 on something that probably won't sound better than what you currently have.  This is just my .02.  I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming purchase.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks. I'm not sure about HD 558 because it's currently out of my range. Sennheiser is my taste. I'll see if maybe I could afford HD 558 if I can't find anyone that have HD518. Oh and also. People say 5X8 shares same driver rather than last generation so I'm really curious.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks. I'm not sure about HD 558 because it's currently out of my range. Sennheiser is my taste. I'll see if maybe I could afford HD 558 if I can't find anyone that have HD518. Oh and also. People say 5X8 shares same driver rather than last generation so I'm really curious.

Sorry I meant 558 and not 555 in my post.  Good luck to you!

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 7
From my experience open back usually have a better soundstage and better highs, but often less bass. From what I've heard the 518 is slightly bassier than the 558 or 598. I think they're good value, but haven't personally tried them.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 7
  What differences can I expect between the two?
I know that 360 Pro is closed design (Meaning no one can hear my music or whatsoever). While HD 518 is Open. (Meaning everyone may be able to hear my music)

Do you mean PX 360 or HD 380 PRO? There is no model HD 360 PRO (as far as I am aware)

HD 380 PRO is a pro monitoring headphone designed for use in the studio and as such has a very neutral frequency response. HD 518 is a consumer headphone and, as you have said, is open (with all the advantages this implies). You'll get a very different sound migrating from one to the other but in my opinion the HD 518 is better for everyday use (assuming you are not a music professional).

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 7
I bought the HD518 for $50USD would reccomend the FA003 clones from jaycar over it any day of the week. It does have it's appeal when you get used to it's signature though. Gonna buy the superlux 668B later and compare. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back