Upgrading from Sennheiser 280HD PRO, nearfield monitors, tinnitus and more
Feb 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 55
Well, dont worry about below 40hz, you're not gonna get there from any of these drivers. No, the beauty of the sub from your small room standpoint is that you can control the gain on it. You can mix louder than you could with just using something like the KRK's because you can attenuate the lows...
And if the lows are not as problematic as you thought, you can just increase the gain and have (near) full-range monitors.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, dont worry about below 40hz, you're not gonna get there from any of these drivers. No, the beauty of the sub from your small room standpoint is that you can control the gain on it. You can mix louder than you could with just using something like the KRK's because you can attenuate the lows...
And if the lows are not as problematic as you thought, you can just increase the gain and have (near) full-range monitors.

I would need to test that kit that you are suggesting first, its also about the sound... the sound of the KRK RP6 is just perfect for me, so please, from a physical point of view, it would be possible to get a decent sound if mixing on low volume with the KRK RP6 G2?. I don't need a different set up if the answer is yes. I don't want to sound rude but I just spent a lot of time testing them and I wouldn't change them if I could get a decent sound in my room.

Basically I just need someone smart to do "the math" and considering the size of my room and the specs of the RP6 G2, and then get the aproximate volume I could work at before ofending frequencies start to appear. If its decent volume to work at, then I'll buy the monitors just tomorrow.

btw its a bedroom full of ****, I mean its filled with stuff, books, huge wardrove, 2 desks, bed, random chairs, lots of cds in shelves, bookcases... I hope that **** helps breaking some waves
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #39 of 55
So will a HD650 without an amp connected to the same soundcard I have now (at least temporally) be an improvement above the HD280? Is it worth it?

Please more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 55
Hello! Quote:

Originally Posted by glacius1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sound of the KRK RP6 is just perfect for me, so please, from a physical point of view, it would be possible to get a decent sound if mixing on low volume with the KRK RP6 G2?. I don't need a different set up if the answer is yes. I don't want to sound rude but I just spent a lot of time testing them and I wouldn't change them if I could get a decent sound in my room.

This really does not work. You haven't tested the KRKs in your room, right? So if you liked them in a different room, that doesn't mean anything because they will sound different in your room and that will also depend on how you position them.

The question "Are KRK RP6 the right speakers for me and my room?" can only be answered if /you/ test them right in your room. Quote:

Originally Posted by glacius1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically I just need someone smart to do "the math" and considering the size of my room and the specs of the RP6 G2, and then get the aproximate volume I could work at before ofending frequencies start to appear. If its decent volume to work at, then I'll buy the monitors just tomorrow.

Well I don't know how you would try to calculate if a certain kind of speakers is the right one for your room and your taste(!).

By the way this post is not meant to be offensive in any way, it's just that you should not rely on anyone here saying "Don't buy KRKs, buy these".
Perhaps you could ask your dealer if you can try the KRKs in your own room. Also you could try some headphones and check if they work for your mixing purposes.
Maybe your 280s are OK but you have to lower the volume and look out for a crossfeed-plugin (there are VSTs that work in the major sequencers) to get the sound "out of your head"?
From what I've read I would not consider a HD650 out of a Soundblaster to be an "upgrade" by the way.

Regards,
Jonas

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!This really does not work. You haven't tested the KRKs in your room, right? So if you liked them in a different room, that doesn't mean anything because they will sound different in your room and that will also depend on how you position them.

The question "Are KRK RP6 the right speakers for me and my room?" can only be answered if /you/ test them right in your room.Well I don't know how you would try to calculate if a certain kind of speakers is the right one for your room and your taste(!).

By the way this post is not meant to be offensive in any way, it's just that you should not rely on anyone here saying "Don't buy KRKs, buy these".
Perhaps you could ask your dealer if you can try the KRKs in your own room. Also you could try some headphones and check if they work for your mixing purposes.
Maybe your 280s are OK but you have to lower the volume and look out for a crossfeed-plugin (there are VSTs that work in the major sequencers) to get the sound "out of your head"?
From what I've read I would not consider a HD650 out of a Soundblaster to be an "upgrade" by the way.

Regards,
Jonas

With the "math" thing I was talking in a general way, I mean, if it would make sense to put a 6 cone monitor on my room, considering their frequency spectrum. I was asking for an aproximation, and not "how would it sound specifically".

I like "the sound" of the KRK RP6 for my taste. And I can adapt to the different "sounds" of diferent headphones/monitors with practice after a week or so of listening to records I know. The question was if it would be decently accuarte in your regular 3.2 x 3.0 meters bedroom at a volume enough to hear all the elements in the mix and not to mix with it cranked at max. With "math" i was talking about a comment on it rather than exact numbers of course.

On the headphone thing, yes I know HD650 needs an amp etc, I was just asking if there would be a difference with the HD280 connected to the same card while I get some money for a proper amp since im not a sob rich audiophile. I've heard thanks to the high impedance the HD650 adapt decently to weak sources like even ipods and stuff.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #42 of 55
bare in mind that so long as you are not listening at very high volumes, are in a room of sufficient size, and are not propped against a wall, near-field monitors arent nearly as affected by the room as normal speakers

food for thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!This really does not work. You haven't tested the KRKs in your room, right? So if you liked them in a different room, that doesn't mean anything because they will sound different in your room and that will also depend on how you position them.

The question "Are KRK RP6 the right speakers for me and my room?" can only be answered if /you/ test them right in your room.Well I don't know how you would try to calculate if a certain kind of speakers is the right one for your room and your taste(!).

Regards,
Jonas

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bare in mind that so long as you are not listening at very high volumes, are in a room of sufficient size, and are not propped against a wall, near-field monitors arent nearly as affected by the room as normal speakers

food for thought

The question then is: Is a 3.2x3.0 aprox a room big enough for some KRK RP6 G2 considering its technical specs?

KRK RP6 G2 Studio Monitors + KRK RP10S Bundle : Gigasonic.com

I even made a drawing of my room for you to imagine the waves going around and seeing if it would **** up with your mighty head-fi powers.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9540/neat.jpg

The two squares are closets that go from ceiling to floor, so they are modifing the shape of the room I guess (and I guess its good since a simetrical square is bad). The other thing is obviously my bed hopefully with a nice different chick every friday at 4 am

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #44 of 55
first reflections arent really an issue in the near-field, and since the KRK's are front-ported, id guess that at the distance youve placed the desk from the wall, youll have NO need for any kind of treatment behind them

assuming the room is carpeted, id honestly not worry about a thing

(thats a HUGE monitor, btw, considering youre placing the speakers so far apart... what is it, a 24''?)

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

first reflections arent really an issue in the near-field, and since the KRK's are front-ported, id guess that at the distance youve placed the desk from the wall, youll have NO need for any kind of treatment behind them

assuming the room is carpeted, id honestly not worry about a thing

That is quite nice to hear. So do you recommend me getting them? would be really nice to me to reduce headphone usage to the minimum.

Quote:

(thats a HUGE monitor, btw, considering youre placing the speakers so far apart... what is it, a 24''?)

lol I realized now, no its a 22''.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back