Upgrading from Px100's
Feb 8, 2006 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

divad68

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a headphone newbie compared to many of you here and therefore would really welcome your thoughts on what headphones I should shortlist as potential upgrades from my PX100's.

The phones will be used primarily with a 5G Ipod so will need to be fairly sensitive and reasonably small. I prefer the earpad / over the ear type (not sure of the proper terminology)! Although I'm looking to upgrade, I actually love the sound of the PX100's. They are the only phones I've tried so far that make my Ipod sound reasonable...though I haven't tried many. I'm guessing that there must be something out there that would represent an upgrade. I partcularly like the rich / warm sound of the PX100's, so I'd be specially interested in recommendations that have a similar tonal balance. I don't mind phones that are a bit bigger (but not too big) and I'm willing to try the 'closed' (is that the word?) variety. As far as budget goes, I'm willing to pay up to 5 or 6 times more than I did for the PX100's (they cost me £26).

From what I've picked up from here so far, the Grado SR60's seem to be highly thought of...but there seems to be mixed opinions on whether or not they are actually a clear improvement on the PX100's, despite costing considerably more.

So, any suggestions will be very much welcomed!

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 4
IEM? er4p/s UE5/10?

for full sized headphone the only way to go is into the >$200 range SR225/HF1, HD600, and etc.

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
If you wan't the small earpad style and something that's easy to drive...the only options I can think of are the HD 25 (closed, great sound quality) or the Grados - 225, 325i, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back