Upgrading from my current setup - DT 770 Pro
Oct 4, 2016 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

seamon

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own a DT 770 Pro 32 ohm for headphones and JVC FX-850 for IEMs. I am looking to upgrade in the headphone department into something in the range of $300-400. I will be driving them from Creative Sound Blaster ZxR with Burson V5i Op-amps. I was considering the Fostex TH-X00(when it becomes available at massdrop), Kennerton Magister Light and Magister(on massdrop rn), and Sennheiser HD 700. I was looking into open headphone options but I don't mind closed too. I mainly listen to pop, rock pop, alternate rock, punk rock etc. What would you recommend?

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 15
What is it about the DT770 that you do/dont like? Might be helpful to recommend something if we know what youre after.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 15
  I currently own a DT 770 Pro 32 ohm for headphones and JVC FX-850 for IEMs. I am looking to upgrade in the headphone department into something in the range of $300-400. I will be driving them from Creative Sound Blaster ZxR with Burson V5i Op-amps. I was considering the Fostex TH-X00(when it becomes available at massdrop), Kennerton Magister Light and Magister(on massdrop rn), and Sennheiser HD 700. I was looking into open headphone options but I don't mind closed too. I mainly listen to pop, rock pop, alternate rock, punk rock etc. What would you recommend?

Those Fostex TH-X00 do look temping.

Currently my preferred headphone is the Beyer T90 :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 15
The TH- X00's are super fun headphones that might be good for that type of music from what I remember it was a little soft on the highs. Not crazy dark just less than HD-700's. The 700's get too much of a bad rap here but I find them very good indeed. Super good soundstage seperation detail and good bass. Also one of the most comfortable headphones I have. Only certain recordings let you know about the 6khz spike and it isn't that bad. They preform much better out of a tube amp but still good on SS's also. I just like them better on a smooth tube amp and hopefully my new one will be here tomorrow .

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 15
  What is it about the DT770 that you do/dont like? Might be helpful to recommend something if we know what youre after.

Right. The DT 770 32Ohm are too dark. I need a lot warmer pair of headphones with smoother highs, a better mid-range and a little more bass(I know these are bassy but I need a little moar).

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 15
The TH- X00's are super fun headphones that might be good for that type of music from what I remember it was a little soft on the highs. Not crazy dark just less than HD-700's. The 700's get too much of a bad rap here but I find them very good indeed. Super good soundstage seperation detail and good bass. Also one of the most comfortable headphones I have. Only certain recordings let you know about the 6khz spike and it isn't that bad. They preform much better out of a tube amp but still good on SS's also. I just like them better on a smooth tube amp and hopefully my new one will be here tomorrow .

Oh. I was looking for a pair that wasn't dark. DT 770 are dark for me.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 15
  I was definitely considering them but apparently they lack bass.

I'm not a basshead, but I do like the amount of bass the T-90, plenty for my tastes.
Guessing(?) the Fostex TH-X00, is a touch more musical, then the T-90

I own the DT770 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm, T-90 to me is a better quality bass.

But the TH-X00 has always been temping.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 15

I'm not a basshead, but I do like the amount of bass the T-90, plenty for my tastes.
Guessing(?) the Fostex TH-X00, is a touch more musical, then the T-90

I own the DT770 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm, T-90 to me is a better quality bass.

But the TH-X00 has always been temping.

I am actually looking for similar bass to my JVC FX 850 but a little more controlled, there's definitely some bloat in these. Fostex TH-X00 is now my top contender after realizing that the HD-700 is relatively dark.

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 15
  HD 700 dark? Perhaps you have it confused with the HD 650.

They are not? I gathered that after reading here and there but if you say they aren't, I'll take your word for it. What do you suggest for pop, pop-rock,punk-rock, alternate rock etc - HD 700 or TH-X00 or something else? I think I do consider myself a basshead.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 15
  They are not? I gathered that after reading here and there but if you say they aren't, I'll take your word for it. What do you suggest for pop, pop-rock,punk-rock, alternate rock etc - HD 700 or TH-X00 or something else? I think I do consider myself a basshead.

You maybe confuse "dark" with "bright"? As far as I know dark means that the headphones have less treble relative to midrange and bass and warm means a gentle mid-bass and midrange elevating relative to the rest of the frequencies. Bright means more treble relative to midrange and bass.
  Right. The DT 770 32Ohm are too dark. I need a lot warmer pair of headphones with smoother highs, a better mid-range and a little more bass(I know these are bassy but I need a little moar).

So by my understanding this is a bit contradicting. Also when I read through Head-fi's HD700 reviews (months ago) the consensus was that they are rather bright headphones with peaky treble. That consensus may have changed over time, I don't know but last time I checked they were considered as bright.

I personally dislike this kind of language a little bit as it can lead to confusion. All those terms stand for the spectral balance of the headphones. Just say too much bass or not enough highs, recessed mids, whatever, it's way more easy to understand and it's just as expressive.

On an other note, I've had the T90 and they had plenty of bass, I'd say more than neutral, however what I can say for sure is that they have a LOT of highs. If you didn't like the DT770's treble because it was not smooth enough, you probably won't like the T90's treble either. Obviously the best would be to try for yourself if you could...

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 15

You maybe confuse "dark" with "bright"? As far as I know dark means that the headphones have less treble relative to midrange and bass and warm means a gentle mid-bass and midrange elevating relative to the rest of the frequencies. Bright means more treble relative to midrange and bass.
So by my understanding this is a bit contradicting. Also when I read through Head-fi's HD700 reviews (months ago) the consensus was that they are rather bright headphones with peaky treble. That consensus may have changed over time, I don't know but last time I checked they were considered as bright.

I personally dislike this kind of language a little bit as it can lead to confusion. All those terms stand for the spectral balance of the headphones. Just say too much bass or not enough highs, recessed mids, whatever, it's way more easy to understand and it's just as expressive.

On an other note, I've had the T90 and they had plenty of bass, I'd say more than neutral, however what I can say for sure is that they have a LOT of highs. If you didn't like the DT770's treble because it was not smooth enough, you probably won't like the T90's treble either. Obviously the best would be to try for yourself if you could...

I am confused too :p . I definitely want bass and mids that are not recessed. My ears are also very sensitive to sibilance. What would you recommend for the genre I listen to?

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 15

FAR from it. In fact a lot of people don't like them because of they find the high amount of treble to be fatiguing. @VNandor gave a good description to describe dark and bright sounds. If you learn to read a headphone's frequency response graph you could get an idea of how a headphone will sound without actually hearing it.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements-explained

From your post above it seems you would like a warm sound. In which case I would recommend either Sennheiser's HD 600 or HD 650. The 650 is a little bassier and smoother on the whole but otherwise the two are very similar. Not basshead cans by any means but for those genres I think you would be better off with something more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back