Upgrading from MDR-7506 for Jazz...
Jun 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
I've been having a pretty fine and dandy time listening to the MDR 7506 ever since I got it 2 weeks ago. However I'm starting to see the limits of these cans. They tend to sound metallic and unnatural at times.

2 problems:

1. The biggest problem is the rendition of brass instruments. Trumpets and saxaphones sound decent but a tad unnatural and metallic. Then there's the problem of the treble getting a little painful at times - Not near sibilance but pretty close. Cymbals and brushes sound metallic.

2. Bass tends to be a bit bloomy at times. The double bass plucks can be defined but not nearly as much as it should be when listening to a jazz trio playing in a club.

I've done a thorough and extensive search and these few cans tend to be actively promoted for Jazz: AKG K501, Grado RS1 with flats or GS1000, HD600/580 or the Beyer DT48.

The RS1 and GS1000 are out of my league right now only the SR225 downwards. The K501 if only I can find it used. The HD600/580 - affordable when purchased used. Same goes for the DT48.

The K501 is immensely intriguing. But I really need to audition them. I've tried the HD600 granted not from a very powerful amp, but it sounded a tad too polite, though they were smooth and very enjoyable. Really want to try the Grados with Jazz. However I'm afraid of fatigue and the brightness.

I've gotten pretty bad headaches with the MDR7506, and when auditioning I thought they were a good balance between bright and dark. But things change when you listen for hours on end everyday. I'm worried about hearing losss!!!!!

I'm moving into a permanent apartment at the end of the year. That's when I'll be gunning for a dedicated CDP. Till then I'll be running them from my Macbook (mostly lossless).

I also listen almost exclusively to 50's 60's bepop, hard bop, post bop. Miles, Coltrane, Mingus, Rollins, Baker, Bill Evans etc. None of the big band swing stuff.

I can spend up to $300 to $400 for cans. Not getting an amp immediately, I'll be getting some cash for that a month or two later.

Please help guys and gals!!!

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 21
Just give hd 600 a try.They may be polite but thats the good with these cans.
I say this because if you upgrade your audio equipement they scale well and the polite character start dissapearing giving it's place to natural,balanced,warm yet dynamic and enganging sound without being fatiguing.
I experienced that when i bought my headphone amp(x can v8).Before that,i was using a sony A.V. reciever and the sound was a bit muffled,unrefined and harsh in the treble.
With the dedicated amp the cans are more enjoyable and the sound quality is noticably better overall,while maintaning their lovely warm,silky sound.(which i really like)

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 21
Oh yes and I was considering the DT880, but for trumpets and the like sibilance was a very big problem. Apart from that they were very good.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 21
thanks for your reply john53! Yeah that's what I suspect. When we audition cans, the wow feeling is awesome, but when you buy the cans, bring them home and listen to them over the medium to long-term the shortcomings become obvious. I might shoot for the HD600, buying them used and giving them a try. Something tells me it just might work out. I just hope their not too polite even in the medium to long term!!!! I guess the choice of amp and DAC/source is an important factor as well.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 21
Personally I adore the K501, for me the perfect Jazz can, and didn't feel much love for the HD600.. I found it to be quite boring
The AKG needs a good amp though

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for your reply john53! Yeah that's what I suspect. When we audition cans, the wow feeling is awesome, but when you buy the cans, bring them home and listen to them over the medium to long-term the shortcomings become obvious. I might shoot for the HD600, buying them used and giving them a try. Something tells me it just might work out. I just hope their not too polite even in the medium to long term!!!! I guess the choice of amp and DAC/source is an important factor as well.

Exactly.I think(without having the great experiense with hi end headphones/amps)that the hd 600 is very "value for money" cans.They don't cost so much money but if you pair them with good audio equipement they can sound magical.They just don't have this "wow" factor,but if you're looking for long term quality,non fatiguing audio enjoynment,they are great.

They just need to be paired with good audio gear.(not nessesary expensive)

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I adore the K501, for me the perfect Jazz can, and didn't feel much love for the HD600.. I found it to be quite boring
The AKG needs a good amp though

I think that this is the most negative aspect of headfi(and other forums)That everybody has it's own opinion(and experience)and some newcomers may get confused too easilly.
Milesandcoltrane,make sure that you always test the audio gear whatever it is,and then look here for just some more opinions,because everyone has it's preferences.I will never stop saying that.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 21
Yeah, given my inherent OCD syndrome about getting the best of everything, and my constant dissatisfaction and wonderment if there's something better out there, coupled with the vastly disparate opinions here; sometimes I find myself running in circles. But hey all in good fun right? = )

Problem is the AKG K501 is immensely hard to find around here. The HD600 is definitely more accessible. I've heard alot about pairing tube amps with the Senns and the resulting magic has many people falling head over heels. Personally the Earmax Pro given its cute little stature is very intriguing, they are pricey though.

I'm a little skeptical about the Darkvoices and Little Dots, but that's just me.

Tubes are also immensely appealing given the tube rolling tweakability, which highly appeals to the inner geek in me. Don't think I'm alone with regards to that = )

However tube choices and complex model numbers are bewildering and intimidating!!!

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 21
john53;5804250 said:
I think that this is the most negative aspect of headfi(and other forums)That everybody has it's own opinion(and experience)and some newcomers may get confused too easilly.
...........................QUOTE]

It's just a matter of fact that HF taste differ, it would be misleading and confusing to pretend it's not so..

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 21
Quinto, I see you've got the iQube, Grace m902 and MF X Can V8. Of these which do you use to drive the K501? And in what way is the K501 the best jazz cans for your ears? I'm very keen on hearing your impressions. The K501 for jazz vote has always been strong and unwavering. There must be a very good reason for this =) It's a real pity I've not been able to hear them.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 21
Hmm, I'm not such a discriptive talent but I can tell you the K501 has excellent bass for acoustic, small settings- jazz. The bass is very very realistic and doesn't interfer in the mids, which are really sweet. treble is ok, not to harsh, which is very important to me, just nice and clear.. Nice detail but not to much..

The soundstage is huge, it's kindof a second row headphone, which I thought I wouldn't like, but I was wrong..

I use then with my X-Can most of the times, which is a excellent combi IMO..

They are great for classical as well.. The overall balance is perfect IMO

I bought my AKG's NOS not to long ago in Belgium, I hadn't heard them but I took the gamble and I won
biggrin.gif

EDIT It´s the huge soundstage and the mids in combination with the realistic,in no way overblown bass that makes them so special I think..

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been having a pretty fine and dandy time listening to the MDR 7506 ever since I got it 2 weeks ago. However I'm starting to see the limits of these cans. They tend to sound metallic and unnatural at times.

2 problems:

1. The biggest problem is the rendition of brass instruments. Trumpets and saxaphones sound decent but a tad unnatural and metallic. Then there's the problem of the treble getting a little painful at times - Not near sibilance but pretty close. Cymbals and brushes sound metallic.

2. Bass tends to be a bit bloomy at times. The double bass plucks can be defined but not nearly as much as it should be when listening to a jazz trio playing in a club.

I've done a thorough and extensive search and these few cans tend to be actively promoted for Jazz: AKG K501, Grado RS1 with flats or GS1000, HD600/580 or the Beyer DT48.

The RS1 and GS1000 are out of my league right now only the SR225 downwards. The K501 if only I can find it used. The HD600/580 - affordable when purchased used. Same goes for the DT48.

The K501 is immensely intriguing. But I really need to audition them. I've tried the HD600 granted not from a very powerful amp, but it sounded a tad too polite, though they were smooth and very enjoyable. Really want to try the Grados with Jazz. However I'm afraid of fatigue and the brightness.

I've gotten pretty bad headaches with the MDR7506, and when auditioning I thought they were a good balance between bright and dark. But things change when you listen for hours on end everyday. I'm worried about hearing losss!!!!!

I'm moving into a permanent apartment at the end of the year. That's when I'll be gunning for a dedicated CDP. Till then I'll be running them from my Macbook (mostly lossless).

I also listen almost exclusively to 50's 60's bepop, hard bop, post bop. Miles, Coltrane, Mingus, Rollins, Baker, Bill Evans etc. None of the big band swing stuff.

I can spend up to $300 to $400 for cans. Not getting an amp immediately, I'll be getting some cash for that a month or two later.

Please help guys and gals!!!

All the headphones in your budget need a amp to perform their best, minus the DT48.. On the flip side, the DT48 is very component sensitive & transparent to a fault.. Even though they are low ohms, they still need adequate gear.. Me & a few others think they under perform with portable CDPers, Ipods, etc.., & have been known to sound supbar with higher end amps according to one owner, which surprised me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back