Upgrading from ipod 5.5g or wait for X3?
May 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

canikickit1

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my trusty Rockboxed ipod classic 5.5g 80gb for some time now and was looking to upgrade, mainly based on the slow UI of the Rockbox and feel that it may be on its way out.

I'm basically looking for a DAP that can hold good space (min 50-60gb), that has a fast UI that does not have to necessarily be touchscreen. My budget is ~$200-300. I don't really play any other formats other than 320 mp3s, with a FLAC here or there.

Looking at the X3, it looks like it may be the one, but am willing to try some others while awaiting it's wide release in July.

Any suggestions from past Ipod Classic Owners?

May 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Originally Posted by canikickit1 

I've had my trusty Rockboxed ipod classic Video 5.5g 80gb for some time now and was looking to upgrade, mainly based on the slow UI of the Rockbox and feel that it may be on its way out.

Fixed that for ya. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I'm basically looking for a DAP that can hold good space (min 50-60gb), that has a fast UI that does not have to necessarily be touchscreen. My budget is ~$200-300. I don't really play any other formats other than 320 mp3s, with a FLAC here or there.

Looking at the X3, it looks like it may be the one, but am willing to try some others while awaiting it's wide release in July.

Any suggestions from past Ipod Classic Owners?

You could grab a Clip Zip, Rockbox it, and toss a 64GB microsd card in it for now. It's much snappier responding than the 5.5....newer hardware and all that. Then, if not satisfied with that, the X3 is coming soon.

May 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had the zip+ and returned it because I felt the soundstage collapsed a bit. However, the sound was pretty good.

Does the clip zip have the same soundstage as the zip+?

May 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had the zip+ and returned it because I felt the soundstage collapsed a bit. However, the sound was pretty good.

Does the clip zip have the same soundstage as the zip+?

I only had Clip+ and Clip Zip at the same time very briefly, so I can't be 100% sure, but I seem to remember their sound was pretty close to each other. I'm guessing the X3 will be a step up from it, but the Sansa could be a temporary option if your 5.5 was to die.

May 23, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 6
I have both Clip+ and Clip ZIP plus IPod Video so the best in terms of SQ is IPod, but very close are these two Sansas.
Sansas have similar chips so they sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back