Upgrading from HD595?
Oct 13, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate
It's worth a shot to ask. One of my local shops will actually order pairs of anything they carry (Senns/Grados) but don't stock and let me try them out at home for a few days/weeks if I want. Sadly they're usually far over the price of anywhere else so I haven't taken them up on it yet.

Ant

Lol thats like this store locally by here. They stock sennheiser but charge insane for them. HD555s going for 170 there. I can try them out for a couple of days and hear the sound but I think that would be wrong... i feel like i would be morally committing a crime just to hear what better headphones sound like lol

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 22
I'm also interested in upgrading from my HD595's after almost a year's usage. Generally been very satisfied but I want something that sounds sharper and less laid back (which out of the Sennheiser is supposed to be the most foward sounding) whilst retaining the relative soundstage and other characteristics, so for that reason I've ruled Grados out. In particular, I think that the Sony sa3000/5000 would be the most suitable. I say this because I have no amp, the Sonys are rated at 70ohms and most other headphones in such categories appear to have higher impedances. Am I right in thinking this? Anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 22
Thank you all for the replys, they are all helpfull. Yeah, I agree that Grados are bit pricy here in EU, but Alessandros can be ordered.

For that EQ part, I have -dB on both mids and highs, it really sounds good. But something just isn't there, hard to describe, that is why I am considering the changing them, and at the same time going a notch up on scale. HD555 can be bought rough 80euros here in Finland, but Grados are of question I guess, Alessandros maybe. But I'll have to get my hands on those models mentioned, and decide then.

Any suggestions on german netstores? For doing some price checks, and then checking the local retailers.

Again, the Sennheiser HD595 are really comfortable, and sound really nice, but neutral in a way. They have a wide soundstage. Something that Grados do not have "as-wide-as-sennheiser".

Any comments on my source E-MU 0404 -> PIMETA -> HD595. I will be modding my 0404 to a better opamp / capacitators(even though I doubt caps will have any big difference). Breakout-cable should be done as well, I am using the stock one atm. My PIMETA is quite midclass, buffers, biased to A-class, Cerafine caps, Alps Blue Velvet, Neutrik connectors, Analog Devices opamps.

Oct 13, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 22
Upgrading from HD595: For more bass, go HD650. For more highs, go K701.

Pimeta will drive them... adequately. Obviously it'll improve with better amp. I recommend M^3 for HD650 and gilmore lite for K701.

Oct 13, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I'm also interested in upgrading from my HD595's after almost a year's usage. Generally been very satisfied but I want something that sounds sharper...

That was exactly the reason why I changed my HD595 with HD650. As a bonus now I have a superb bass as well. I can't complain at all..

Oct 13, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blof
That was exactly the reason why I changed my HD595 with HD650. As a bonus now I have a superb bass as well. I can't complain at all..

IMO the 650 sounds much smoother and more laid back than the 595.

Ant

Oct 13, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples
Any thought on AKG K701? The review gave picture that they have quite good bass. Audio Technicas are bit too much over 300euros, so they are probably out of the comparison. BUT if I am still considering them, I am just wondering will my PIMETA pack the punch to drive those cans. I have tried few Gradows (SR-60 & SR-80) shortly few years back, and I am not about the ergonomics on them.

BTW. I am going to modify the 0404 a bit, changing caps and opamp(AD8620).

If you find the HD595 neutral, you'll probably find the K701 outright boring. I loved them FOR their neutrality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back