Upgrading from HD595?
Oct 11, 2006 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Peoples

New Head-Fier
Yes, I have been listening Sennheiser HD595 for over a year now, and I must admit, I really like them. But I was wondering would there be some point in upgrading them to, lets say e.g Beyerdynamic DT880? I like the soundstage and everything, but I think that these cans have really neutral bass, maybe too neutral. I listen progressive metal, metal, hardrock mostly, so Grado SR225i would be an option too? Under 300euros would be nice though. Or should I do something to my source?

Gear:
Pimeta, Analog Devices AD843JNZ & AD823ANZ
E-MU 0404, not modified
Sennheiser HD595

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 22
If you are looking for a more impactful / deeper bass, I would suggest upgrading to a dt990. i went from an HD595 to a dt990 (2005 version), and I must admit, doing an a-b comparison, it's hard for me to find anything that the dt990's don't do as well or better than the Senns (at least to my ears).

Given your music preferences, I would think that you would be in the same boat though.

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 22
Audio Technica AD2000
smily_headphones1.gif

Improves the 595 in every way imaginable.

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 22
To me, the HD-595s and SR-225s are about on equal footing, with the 225s being more exciting but the 595s being better all around and more comfortable and less fatiguing.
The DT880s are great, but they're a totally different sound. Not really that great for rock or metal, IMHO, the Grados would be a great compliment to the 595s if you're going to keep them.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 22
I will probably keep them. Audio Technica is something new for me, haven't heard any of their models, are they available in the EU? The only thing with Grados that I have doubts on is the earpads and the comfortability. HD595 are comfortable but the build quality(plastic mostly, not even real leather on the headband) is not par with the price. Should I consider Alessandros too? How they differ from the Grado sound?

Oct 12, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 22
The HD595 may look a little flimsy, but it is infact made of pretty solid materials. Grado cans look much cheaper and the comfort sucks in comparison.

Oct 13, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 22
Any thought on AKG K701? The review gave picture that they have quite good bass. Audio Technicas are bit too much over 300euros, so they are probably out of the comparison. BUT if I am still considering them, I am just wondering will my PIMETA pack the punch to drive those cans. I have tried few Gradows (SR-60 & SR-80) shortly few years back, and I am not about the ergonomics on them.

BTW. I am going to modify the 0404 a bit, changing caps and opamp(AD8620).

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
To me, the HD-595s and SR-225s are about on equal footing, with the 225s being more exciting but the 595s being better all around and more comfortable and less fatiguing.

This is my experience as well after owning both for well over a year together. They make a nice pair to complement one another.

Ant

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Maybe my experience is interesting for you... I used HD595 as my first "real" headphones for roughly 1 year and recently upgraded to HD650. I really liked 595 a lot and thought it is near high end. But after using HD650 my opinion has completely changed. So, even though it is slightly over your budget, I seriously reccommend you check them out.

I've been reading here and there that HD650 is not good for rock but I think it is quite a subjective statement. Last night I listened Symphony of Destruction from Megadeth with these cans and I felt the impact of bass and kick literally. It was lovely..

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blof
Maybe my experience is interesting for you... I used HD595 as my first "real" headphones for roughly 1 year and recently upgraded to HD650. I really liked 595 a lot and thought it is near high end. But after using HD650 my opinion has completely changed. So, even though it is slightly over your budget, I seriously reccommend you check them out.

I've been reading here and there that HD650 is not good for rock but I think it is quite a subjective statement. Last night I listened Symphony of Destruction from Megadeth with these cans and I felt the impact of bass and kick literally. It was lovely..

I would agree though I'd strongly recommend hearing them first if you can. Since you seem to want a more out of the bass the HD650s will definitely provide it. They have too much for my tastes but could be what you're looking for. I'm very glad I had a chance to listen to them first and ended up with HD600s instead. It's all a matter of what sounds best to you. Other's opinions can only tell you so much.

Ant

Oct 13, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 22
Opinions, yes they are that. Some say these cans pack the punch, other one says they dont, and so on. And hearing is believing. I am just not sure will PIMETA be enough to drive the HD650. Yes a little deeper bass would be fine, but since I have not owned any pair of cans except HD595, some heard only a short period in a noisy showroom. AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Sony I probably can test in some shop, but Audio Technica not. I would be nice though if they could loan me the phones for a day or two to use with my own source, to test how the feel and sound.

Sennheiser HD650
AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990 ?
Grado SR225 (more expensive here in europe than in US)
Audio Technica AD2000 (highly doubt em, since they seem to be hard to get in europe)
Sony MDR-SA3000 ?

edit: just noticed that there are used pair of HD650 on sale for 200euros near me, this could be it?
600smile.gif
Supposing the seller hasn't sold them already. If PIMETA + 0404 is enough to drive them properly

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples
I would be nice though if they could loan me the phones for a day or two to use with my own source, to test how the feel and sound.

It's worth a shot to ask. One of my local shops will actually order pairs of anything they carry (Senns/Grados) but don't stock and let me try them out at home for a few days/weeks if I want. Sadly they're usually far over the price of anywhere else so I haven't taken them up on it yet.

Ant

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 22
Moro!!!

SR225 all the way if you want headphones for metal! Their soundstage pretty much suck though... But for metal they are A LOT better and more exciting than any Sennheiser. Its unfortunate and unfair that they are so insanely costly here in Finland, or in whole europe actually... I got mine from Huuto.net. Got lucky and got them in real bargain.

If you want to check Grado sound out, consider Alessandro line of Grados. You have to order them from USA, but even with taxes you would get high-quality Grado sound for half-free (comparing them to prices of pure-bred Grados sold here that is.).

Or you might consider Beyerdynamic DT990 05 edition. (aluminum colored. avoid older black colored) Are getting some rave reviews already. Should be kick ass rock & metal headphone with great soundstage. Are these new kings in category of rock headphones, leaving Grados bite the dust? Dunno, i havent ordered mine... yet.
tongue.gif

Requires good amplifier though.

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 22
Have you played first with an equalizer ? I have a HD-595 myself and was very disappointed by bass masked by mids.. but once mids (- 13-16db) and highs ( - 7-9db) attenuated basses came back to life and sound actually very good!
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back