Upgrading from HD465 what next?
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

battleaxe

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have Sennheiser HD465 headphones and I want to upgrade to something with a better sq. I like the current sound of the device, but I feel the sq is a little muffled and a bit muddy. This will be connected to a MBP, Sony a728, ipod min RB'd and most likely the upcoming Sony X series. I listen to all kinds of music from the classics to indie rap. I want something that has a little more clarity, and and better all around sq.

I was previously suggested the Grado SR60, and the MS-1. They both seem find but I don't know if the fit me well. They are kind of uncomfortable, the band at the top didn't feel nice, and to make them more comfortable you need to spend some extra money which I rather not as I do not want to go over $75-80. If I do go Grado i was told I should be looking at nothing below the 225 and I would get those with a few mods if I had the cash. Plus the cables on the SR60 and MS-1 look kind of weak compare to my HD465 cables(did see a few Grado with some nice cable models but that seems pricey). There is the HD485, but I dunno if it worth upgrading to these. Never tried them in person, but they look the same as my HD465 except for the color, which make me kind of wonder if they really are a step up. What would you guys recommend. I kind of prefer open style phones as they feel more comfortable around my ears. Thank you.

BTW I will get an basic amp when I get the funds.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 16
I dont see that model on the AKG website but I do see a K142, I would assume that it might be better as it newer so it might have been adjusted to work and sound better? I think it looks nicer.

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 16
You might want to add the the Denon D1001 / Creative Aurvana Live (whichever of these twins you can find at the best price) to your list. They sound great for the price and are ultra-comfortable and easy to drive.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 16
They look fairly nice but I am kind looking for open or semi-open phones, as I find them a little more comfortable. Also what is the difference between the AKG K141S and the K141 MKII. I have read the differences between the K240 S and 240 MKII but could not find the differences between these two.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 16
The Denons aren't typical closed phones- they neither sound nor feel closed and actually isolate hardly at all. And they're sublimely comfortable- cushy, and light as a feather.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 16
D1000 / 1001. I haven't heard any of the higher models but from what I've read, much the same is true of them (though they're heavier). (And it also appears that the Creative Aurvana Live! is an OEM twin of the D 10010/1, identical under the skin.)

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 16
I'll vouch for the Denons. I recently bought D2000s and they're a dream; before I had only open phones, specifically the Alessandro MS-1 and audio-technica AD700. The D2000s don't cut you off from your surroundings like you might think a closed phone would; they isolate a bit from external noise but far from completely. Denons basically feel like a hybrid open/closed can on the head.

That said, I second the D1000/D1001 if you want an overall great sounding headphone. You'll have no problem driving them out of your current setup.

Another headphone to look at is the audio-technica AD500s. They won't have the bass of the Denons, but will be very clear and they have a nice soundstage.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or should I move to the HD555 as I hear the HD515 isn't as good as the other Sennheiser models.

I have the HD555. They're very good for the price. Another phone you might consider are the AD700s, which I also have. Either would work as a nice upgrade. The HD555 has more bass, while the AD700 feels more open.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 16
How do those compare the K141 MKII? I have tried a few leather ear pads cans and I don't like the feeling too much over my ear can I change the pads to fabric like what I currently have?

Also how big are the K701 I have seen them going for 200 on amazon and I think if I sell a few things I can swing it as I have seen positive things about them on this site.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 16
Alright the AKG will cost me more in the end. I have yet to see a comparison on this site between the dtx900 and the dt400 but which is better if both are the same price on Amazon. Or should I spend the extra 60 on the dt860?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back