Upgrading from HD280s
May 23, 2008 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
What are good headphones in the $250-450 range that aren't "3" for amp? I'm looking for closed headphones with a balanced range, good (but not overpowering) bass that I can feel inside my head, and a sound that's a bit "brighter" than my HD280s.

I listen to many varied genres, but most importantly I want them to be compatible with the stuff I pay the most attention to - Progressive/Technical Rock/Metal, ala Spiral Architect and Planet X.

I have an M-Audio Revolution sound card (listening with my computer) and it has a built in amp for the headphones output, but I'm not sure how potent it actually is (seems to do fine for my 280s).

I am a bit clueless about amps and don't really know what I'd need to properly drive good 2-3 rating headphones, but I'd be willing to spend an extra 100-200$ if it's absolutely necessary at that price range. I have a feeling that's not enough, though...

May 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm an HD280 owner, and I'm currently looking at the Denon D2000s. They don't have the isolation of the 280s (which is why I bought them, but that's another story
wink.gif
) but apparently have a much nicer sound signature.

You might also want to try some open phones too, for variety. I've found that some Grado SR80s provide nice contrast with the 280 pros.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an HD280 owner, and I'm currently looking at the Denon D2000s. They don't have the isolation of the 280s (which is why I bought them, but that's another story
wink.gif
) but apparently have a much nicer sound signature.

You might also want to try some open phones too, for variety. I've found that some Grado SR80s provide nice contrast with the 280 pros.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am also looking at the Denons, which seem like the only phones with isolation close to the HD280s.

looks like the only choices in this price range are the Denons (either 2000 or 5000) and the Audio Technica w1000, which I don't know a lot about.
How big is the difference between the 2000s and the 5000s? They cost 50% more, is it worth it?

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Some people have said so, but I don't have much experience with them. Maybe if some Denon owners will step up.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard good things about the Audio-Technicas as well.

May 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Here is a suggestion off the beaten path: Beyerdynamic DT-150.

This is a closed phone which gets virtually no mention on Head-fi, but is probably well worth considering. It is a definite upgrade over the DT-770 Pro, which is frequently raved about here, but costs about the same (I bought from bhphoto.com for $170 last year-smooth transaction and delivered in 3 days).

In comparison with the DT-770 (Pro 80 ohm) I hear more detail, more midrange "presence", and better overall bass quality (DT-770 has a bit more impact/presence but DT-150 more accurate and resolving). I also find the DT-150 to have a more expansive soundstage than the DT-770. Overall the DT-150 sound signature is not far off from that of the Sennheiser HD600. The DT-150 is 250 ohms, which means it needs an amp to sound its best (iPod headphone jack will provide sufficient volume, but dynamics a bit restricted). The only situation where I prefer the sound of the DT-770 is with older recordings that are lacking in bass dynamics and/or have harsh highs (such as old Jazz and Rock recordings)-the overall sound is a little less fatiguing through the 770's.

Finally, the DT-150 build quality is about as good as it gets-seriously, good luck destroying them, they are made for professional applications where daily abuse is a way of life for headphones. These phones ARE somewhat ugly, er, "industrial chic", but every single part (even such things as screws and structural parts) is replaceable. They are not quite as comfortable as the DT-770 (one of the most comfortable closed cans around) due to greater clamping force and the use of pleather (don't worry, it's good quality-feels identical to what BMW uses in its interiors) rather than velour earpads; the trade-off is that the DT-150 isolates better. The only other quirk is that the single-entry cable enters the right earcup (every other single-entry 'phone I can think of enters the left cup-took a few days to get used to the difference).

DT-150 at bhphoto.com

May 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, for starters, if you're expecting good isolation, don't go for the 2/5000. If you're listening to music (even loud) you can usually still hear people talking.

On the issue of 'Is it worth it'; As I've said in another thread, it depends on your thinking. If you want the best, and don't care that it costs more, yes. However the D2000 is good enough that if you're on a budget, it will probably be enough for you. (And you can always get it recabled/modded later)

Lastly, I'll throw out a suggestion for the Grado 325i, in response to the OP mentioning that he wanted a brighter sound and decent bass.

No experience with Audio-Technica's here either, although I'm thinking of one for my next purchase.

May 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 8
The Denons are the only phones I see which have anything at all listed under Isolation in Headroom. Aside from the HD280s.

Are the Grados not on-ear?
I will mostly use these at home, on my desktop. I want something heavy, immersive and powerful. I don't care how big/ugly/heavy they are.
biggrin.gif

I'm a bit limited to eBay sellers (not living in the US or Europe, aside from the fact that they're usually a lot cheaper). Can't find either the Grados or Beyer 150s there anyway. :/

May 23, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlonglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care how big/ugly/heavy they are.
biggrin.gif

Don't say that. You haven't tried an old pair of Koss Pro4AAAs, have you? They must double the weight of your head. Seriously, bending one's neck becomes a workout.
biggrin.gif
Plus they make you look like a helicopter pilot.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back