Upgrading from HD-560 Ovation II / Disappointed by DT-990
Dec 30, 2018 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

koipen

New Head-Fier
Hey'all

I've for a while now used a pair of Sennheiser HD-560's as my primary full-size pair. They're pretty good - the main problem I have is that for beaty music - e.g. house or hip-hop - they are a bit weak. Furthermore, the cable insertions have come loose which means I have to wiggle the ends in place every so often.

Following a small windfall - with due financial responsibility of course - I decided to upgrade my set-up. I noticed the DT-990's (the 250 ohm version) were only a £100 quid on Amazon, and given that my friend once had a pair of DT-880's that sounded amazing, I decided to buy them. To drive them, I got the Fiio-E10k, which seemed like a good entry-level amp.

After trying them out, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. The sound is different from my HD 560 but not all for the better. The Sennheisers feel more airy and open, and the headphones are a lot lighter and therefore more comfortable. The DT-990's feel more intense, in a way. There may be a bit more detail in the sound - it's hard to describe the differences. I'm not sure which one I exactly prefer just for the sound.

On a good note, I do enjoy the effect the E10k has had on my Sennheisers - they now feel a good bit more punchy and I enjoy listening to hip-hop etc. better. Still though, the bass is weak - it's not as punchy as the one on the DT-990's which really digs deep in that department.

With this in mind, given that I'm not sure which one I prefer, I'm inclined to return the DT-990s.

So to finally arrive at my questions:

1. Is the issue with my DT-990's that I'm not driving them enough? Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

2. Are there any good upgrades from the HD-560's? I like the openness of the sound and the lightweight comfort, but the slightly thin sound and the build quality are less than perfect.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 3
I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and DT990 Premium 600-Ohm and have not wanted to use them in years.
I guess the reason the DT990 are such a good price is because you have to spend a lot more for a headphone amplifier for driving them.
Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990 really need to be used with a decently power headphone amplifier to sound their best.
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm has a strong and loud bass, but not a quality tight bass.
So yes, please return the DT990
I'm guessing the E10K is better for driving lower impedance (Ohm) headphones, but I guess they do well with the 300-Ohm HD560

My 32-Ohm SoundMagic HP200 headphones are like an improved DT990
Check out the Massdrop/Sennheiser (150-Ohm) HD58X

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Well the specs of the E10K is 200mW @ 32 ohms so probably not a good choice the the 250 ohm 990’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back