Upgrading from HD 515s
Oct 25, 2015 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pesors

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some advice on getting some new headphones. I've been listening from my trusty Sennheiser HD 515s for about more then 5 years now and I've always been satisfied with them. But my friend brought me to an audio store the other day and I got a chance to listed to some other headphones. After listening to the Audeze LCD-X, It blew my mind on how good it was. Ever since then I've been trying all the headphones I can get my ears on and I am enjoying the experience. I had a Chance to listen to the Above mentioned LCD-X Which I loved, The EL-8 Which was good but not to my tastes. The Sennheiser HD 600 which was good but not mindblowing and the HD 700 Which I loved with some songs but others did no good. Now If I could afford an LCD-X setup I wouldn't be posting here so I'm asking for a headphone or headphone/amp combination under 500$ that will suit my tastes.

I'm not sure that I'm qualified to describe sound signatures but I would be looking for a headphone that is like the HD 515s. I'm not sure if they are bright or neutral but I'm sure they are not dark. I think a headphone that is a little bassier but still remaining clear in the treble would be a good fit for me. It would also be a huge plus if the headphone can run fine out of an iphone/ipad. Another plus would be if the headphone does many genres well.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 2
For your budget I think you need to go second hand if you want to get a satisfying upgrade. You have been spoilt by listening to the LCD-X.

You might want to try the STAX SRS-2170 system. It's the current entry level headphone system from STAX and I think you would be impressed. It costs $476 new on Amazon.

If you go second hand, you can purchase similar or even better systems from STAX for lower prices. The problem with higher end headphones of the Lambda series is that they are more bright overall. The higher end models have better treble and bass extension, but the SR-207 has a more even balance.

A second hand Beyerdynamic T1 might be found for $500 now that the new version is out, but I don't think it would be as impressive as a STAX headphone. I sold my T1 to buy an SRS-4040 Signature system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back