Upgrading from HD 280 PROs... help...
Jun 23, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 27
Well, I've got some awesome info. Honestly, The only reason I was looking at Grados are simply because of all the great things I've heard about them. I'm completely open to any suggestions. Here's my stuff though.

-I need something natural sounding. Not boomy or whiny... just pure, crystal clear, clean sound. I've heard open-backed cans are better at this than closed, so I was most recently looking into the SR-125s but if they're uncomfortable, or sound goofy (no one within an hour drive carries Grados, so I can't really listen before purchasing.), then I'll look for something else.

-I would like something a bit lighter than my HD280s (they weigh in at 285g), but slightly heavier is ok.

-I cannot afford an amp so I need something with a somewhat low nominal impedence.

-I also would need something that goes over my ears, not on.

-And I really don't want to spend more than $150.

Any ideas anyone?

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 27
I upgraded from the HD280's to SR225's and believe me it is a very big jump, I haven't listened to the 280's since I've gotten the 225's. Hope this helped.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 27
In the cup, did the Grados fit on your ear or over the ear? I love the fit of my HD280s. I've heard a few others describe the Senn's sound over the Grados, but I'm interested in hearing the HD280s vs Grado SR80 or up. The SR225's are a bit out of my price range, as I'm stopping at the 125. How is the sound and fit? Do you have a small head? (an odd question I know, but I have a relatively small head).

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by that Linux guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the cup, did the Grados fit on your ear or over the ear? I love the fit of my HD280s. I've heard a few others describe the Senn's sound over the Grados, but I'm interested in hearing the HD280s vs Grado SR80 or up. The SR225's are a bit out of my price range, as I'm stopping at the 125. How is the sound and fit? Do you have a small head? (an odd question I know, but I have a relatively small head).

They fit over the ears, I have no problem with comfort. Don't know about other Grado models but there is really no comparing the 280's to the 225's. My 225's are simply awesome. BTW I would say a have a average head. You may find a used pair of 225's here in the head-fi sale forum or ebay for about $150, That would be my choice for sure.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 27
Grados are somewhat a hybrid- they're on-ear, but a tiny bit larger than you'd think so if you've got small ears they may be slightly circumaural. The plastic Grados (SR60- SR225)are very lightweight, and once the headband conforms to your head you'll probably have no problem with them.

Unfortunately, they DO colour the sound. I find, though, that they way they go about this is actually a selling feature to me. Plus, if you go SR80s, they sound very good through an iPod's headphone port or a soundcard, and offer a nice contrast to the HD280s.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are somewhat a hybrid- they're on-ear, but a tiny bit larger than you'd think so if you've got small ears they may be slightly circumaural. The plastic Grados (SR60- SR225)are very lightweight, and once the headband conforms to your head you'll probably have no problem with them.

Unfortunately, they DO colour the sound. I find, though, that they way they go about this is actually a selling feature to me. Plus, if you go SR80s, they sound very good through an iPod's headphone port or a soundcard, and offer a nice contrast to the HD280s.

I understand about the fit. Over the ears, and I'm golden
smily_headphones1.gif

What I'm not completely clear on, is how they colour the sound... and how they contrast the HD280's. Not to be a pest or anything, but could someone reiterate that like I'm a 4 year old? I don't understand. thanks so much for the great info so far.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 27
It's all the sound presentation. SR80s have a bit of a recessed midrange and a bright treble response. The 280s have a forward (I've heard it described as "honky") midrange and somewhat recessed bass and treble, at least to my ears it does.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 27
Well, that doesn't sound bad to me. It sounds like I'm settled then. Seems like it'll sound good, and it sounds like the fitment is fine.

Is there any other fine details I'm forgetting about? I've read several reviews on both the SR80 and SR125, and both seem like great choices.

I wish there was a place i could actually listen to some here in my area of Michigan, but that's alright. If I really don't like them, thank God for Craigslist.org.

Thanks to all you guys (and gals) who contributed to to this thread for me. I hate being the newb, but you have to start somewhere, right? Your help and guidance isn't going unappreciated. I like these forums, and I think I'll hang around and try to learn a thing or two. Thanks for putting up with probably-over-asked-question.

-Andrew
-thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Well, that doesn't sound bad to me. It sounds like I'm settled then. Seems like it'll sound good, and it sounds like the fitment is fine.

Is there any other fine details I'm forgetting about? I've read several reviews on both the SR80 and SR125, and both seem like great choices.

I wish there was a place i could actually listen to some here in my area of Michigan, but that's alright. If I really don't like them, thank God for Craigslist.org.

Thanks to all you guys (and gals) who contributed to to this thread for me. I hate being the newb, but you have to start somewhere, right? Your help and guidance isn't going unappreciated. I like these forums, and I think I'll hang around and try to learn a thing or two. Thanks for putting up with probably-over-asked-question.

-Andrew

We all started where your at ..... good luck on your purchase.

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

-Andrew

No problem.
smily_headphones1.gif
You started exactly where I did. Though if you're settled on Grados, I'd either go for the 80s or spring for the 225s. The 125s are seldom recommended around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back