Upgrading from HD 280 PROs... help...
Jun 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

that Linux guy

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, I hope this isn't an over-asked question, but I need some help looking for some new cans. I bought my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones about 2 years ago, and they're nice, but I'm looking for something a bit better sound. Don't get me wrong, these things sound good, but I want something clearer and more natural sounding. I've heard this can be had with open cap headphones as opposed to the closed nature of the Senns, but don't quote me on that.

I after much googling, and a disappointing 2 hours with the Bose Tri-Ports, I'm thinking about either the Grado SR80s or the Sennheiser HD555s, but I'm not really sure what to expect from each, and no place in town carries them so I can't do a direct comparison. Anyone have any ideas? I won't be using an amp, and they'll just be hooked up directly to my computer sound card... a Creative Labs Audigy SE as of now, but I'm looking to upgrade to something worthy of a good set of cans.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon. And I apologise if I've asked a dumb question or posted in the wrong place. The site is great, but not as intuitive as the other forums I frequent.

-Andrew
-thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 27
I was close to buying 280s when I did some more reading and decided to go with the HD555s and Im liking mine very much. They are my first real full size cans though so I cant compare. Some one on amazon said they were miles better considering such a small price difference so I went for it. Natural is the way I describe how they sound. Especially with accoustic guitar or classical stuff. I think they sound pretty good with Electronic and Classic Rock too.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 27
I never really gave the HD555s much attention. At the time of purchase, I needed something closed cap, so the HD280's were the best thing I could get given my selection at the local pro audio shop. I was looking at the spec sheet for the HD555's and notice the impedence being almost double what my HD280's are. Will I need an amp with the HD555's? I'll be using them mostly with my computer, but also with my MP3 player from time to time.

Honestly, after using Sennheisers, I know they're good, from the PMX100s I'm ordering to use with my Palm Centro, all the way up to the cans I can't afford. I know I'll be happy with the HD555s, but I'm very interested in the Grado SR80s. Does anyone know about these? I'm trying to find a good description of how they fit on the head. I love my HD280's cause they surround me ear and they feel comfortable, but the whole earpiece on the SR80's look slightly more than 1/2 the size of my Senns.

Can anyone describe the fitment of the Grado SR80's to me?

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 27
I had the HD280's as my first good headphones, loved them. But really, after you go to a new pair, you will realize those are the most uncomfortable mega-clamp unbearable headphones in the world :p

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the HD280's as my first good headphones, loved them. But really, after you go to a new pair, you will realize those are the most uncomfortable mega-clamp unbearable headphones in the world :p

Hahaha, +1!

I much prefer my SR60 in terms of sound and comfort (although they aren't the most comfie can ever).

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, I have a somewhat small head and they fit fine from day 1, but stretching the headpand out during a 3 day burn-in did helped fitment.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the tight fit of the HD280's, and I luckily had the chance to try these on before purchase. I don't have this luxury with the cans I'm looking at upgrading to
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 27
Go Grado if you don't need isolation.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 27
The HD555 are quite good for what you pay but depreciate in price much more than the Grado's if you buy them new. If you don't like the sr-80 people here would love to take them off your hands, might take a little time for the HD555 to go.
As for amping the HD555's, they can be driven quite well right out of my macbook pro but my iPod sounds like cardboard without one.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Grado if you don't need isolation.

Any support to this statement? I still have no clue how they fit. It seems 1 person out of every 6 or 7 loves their fitment, and others can't wear them for mor than an hour.

Jun 22, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by that Linux guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everybody, I hope this isn't an over-asked question, but I need some help looking for some new cans. I bought my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones about 2 years ago, and they're nice, but I'm looking for something a bit better sound. Don't get me wrong, these things sound good, but I want something clearer and more natural sounding. I've heard this can be had with open cap headphones as opposed to the closed nature of the Senns, but don't quote me on that.

I after much googling, and a disappointing 2 hours with the Bose Tri-Ports, I'm thinking about either the Grado SR80s or the Sennheiser HD555s, but I'm not really sure what to expect from each, and no place in town carries them so I can't do a direct comparison. Anyone have any ideas? I won't be using an amp, and they'll just be hooked up directly to my computer sound card... a Creative Labs Audigy SE as of now, but I'm looking to upgrade to something worthy of a good set of cans.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon. And I apologise if I've asked a dumb question or posted in the wrong place. The site is great, but not as intuitive as the other forums I frequent.

-Andrew
-thatLinuxguy.wordpress.com

My headphone route:
HD280 -> HD650 -> K701 -> Omega II mk2
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 27
I found the SR80 and HD555 to be significantly different in sound and comfort. Which sounds better to whom is a matter of personal preference. The HD555 are perhaps the most comfortable cans I've owned. And between the two I easily would choose the HD555 for its sound and comfort. The lowest Grado model I would consider buying is the SR225 and that's based on my previous ownership of the SR80 and from what I've read about other Grados.

The higher end Senns are better over all than the HD555, but the HD555 is very natural sounding. The same could be said of Grados IF you consider natural sounding to mean things should sound like they are actually inches from your ears, which to me is far from a natural presentation. And although I enjoyed classic rock very much with the HD555 before amping, it sounded better and louder after amping. So if you prefer really high volumes without amping, you may want to consider easier to drive cans than the HD555. Maybe the AD700 would be a better solution for you?

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 27
I like the 555s, but I haven't listened to much music through them. I CAN say that they are astounding for movies and video games. Portal (Half-Life 2 Orange Box pack-in game) sounded great straight out of a sound card.

Try a pair of Grado SR60s or SR80s to see if you like the Grado sound. I did, and was astounded to finally have a pair of headphones I didn't have to equalize to get sounding good. That's what sold me on them.
smily_headphones1.gif
I still use my 280s regularly though, as they DO sound good and their isolation comes in handy if you don't want others to hear what you're listening to.

EDIT: You DO have to decide between punchiness and soundstage though. Grados have rather poor soundstaging, and Senns (595s notwithstanding) aren't known for punchiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back